Author Topic: Glued Wheel Recall - 1969 Shelby Wheels  (Read 3453 times)

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
Glued Wheel Recall - 1969 Shelby Wheels
« on: December 09, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the recall letter they can post?  If not, does anyone have the recall campaign number they can share?

Thanks. 

CSX4781

• View Profile
Re: Glued Wheel Recall - 1969 Shelby Wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 06:53:28 PM »
Robert,
   The paperwork I have shows the wheels for 362 being replaced under campaign U-01, on 6/5/69. Same info as in the registry.  Hope this helps.

Dave

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 07:03:32 PM »
U-01 had to do with the chamfer of the lug holes

dream car

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 09:38:32 AM »
Purchased my new 1969 model GT-500 in April 1970 from Joe Meyer Ford Dealer, few month later hit the curb in the rain. two rims come loose from the aluminum hubs. flew off in the distance.  the aluminum hub shattered, and punctured through the inner wheelwell and come out the top of rear quarter.  Ford dealer repair the damage on the body. never mention anything about the recall. I have to replaced 4 wheels with American Mags.  Just purchased a 69 GT-350 few months ago. The car still have three glued wheels, and one wheel have 5 square head bolt on the back.  Don't recall ever received any recall on the car back on those days.
DON'T DRIVE AS FAST AS I USED TO 50 YEARS AGO

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »
After reading the responses, I am curious if U-01 even mentioned anything about the "glued" wheel issue, and replacing them with "rivet" versions.  I wonder if Ford specifically called out the glue issue in the recall, or just fixed the glue issue by replacing with riveted wheels without specifically stating it in the recall?  Does any original owners recall receiving a recall letter, and what it said? 

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 04:54:50 PM »
It may have been part of U-01, I dont have the letter.

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 06:06:58 PM »
So perhaps this glue failure issue was a non-issue back in 1969?  Is it possible the riveted rims was just a running production improvement that occurred by a natural improvement process, not because there were rims coming apart? 

I don't see a new suffix part number for the riveted rims, versus non-riveted rims.  Although, I am not sure that matters one way or the other to the recall.  It makes sense that if the chamfer or hole recall caused the rims to get replaced, and that a running production change to the rims occurred adding rivets, then it makes sense that owners had their rims replaced under the U-01 recall with riveted rims.  That could be a coincidence because no non-riveted rims were left or available. 

I'm trying to determine if running glued rims is actually an issue or urban legend.  I'm sure there are several other '69 Shelby owners still running on glued wheels like I am.  It would be helpful to know if that is actually a safety issue or not.  Since nobody has the recall document, it is hard to know for sure. 

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 06:15:08 PM »
It might be....

Its now 50 year old glue

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 06:32:54 PM »
So perhaps this glue failure issue was a non-issue back in 1969?  Is it possible the riveted rims was just a running production improvement that occurred by a natural improvement process, not because there were rims coming apart? 

I don't see a new suffix part number for the riveted rims, versus non-riveted rims.  Although, I am not sure that matters one way or the other to the recall.  It makes sense that if the chamfer or hole recall caused the rims to get replaced, and that a running production change to the rims occurred adding rivets, then it makes sense that owners had their rims replaced under the U-01 recall with riveted rims.  That could be a coincidence because no non-riveted rims were left or available. 

I'm trying to determine if running glued rims is actually an issue or urban legend.  I'm sure there are several other '69 Shelby owners still running on glued wheels like I am.  It would be helpful to know if that is actually a safety issue or not.  Since nobody has the recall document, it is hard to know for sure.
I believe the chamfer of the lugnut holes were only on the glued in center wheels.Ford kill two birds with one stone so to speak.  I don't think Ford looked at recall issues back then like they do now days. For instance the GT500 vent recall was handled with about the same level of urgency as the wheel recall from my perspective. I know of a number of people who had safety issues related to the fact that they did not get the vent recall. The point is I don't think it was a urban legend in ether case however there is some risk given that there are records of people having issues with the wheels or like I mentioned the vent recall. How much of a risk is hard to figure . If you have ever had a direct problem with ether one of the issues (glued wheels,vent recall) like I have then you will understand why I will error on the side of caution .  I will not pleasure drive on the glued in wheels or a GT500 without the vent recall. It would be just my luck that lightening would strike twice. I would always suggest for a 69/70 Shelby owner to make the change on these two issues so it doesn't happened to them . It may not hopefully but it has happened to others so you take your chances.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 06:48:45 PM »

I believe the chamfer of the lugnut holes were only on the glued in center wheels.   
[/quote]

I am not familiar with the chamfer issue.  Since my car has glued-in original rims, does that mean there is also likely a chamfer issue as well as the glue-only issue with my rims? 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »

I believe the chamfer of the lugnut holes were only on the glued in center wheels.   

I am not familiar with the chamfer issue.  Since my car has glued-in original rims, does that mean there is also likely a chamfer issue as well as the glue-only issue with my rims?
[/quote]Maybe.If they don't typically loosen up or put another way that you have to tighten them frequently then probably not a issue on yours.The issue was that the contour of the lugnut hole was not made properly and din't match the contour of the lugnut bottom .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
My purple car had only 23000 or so miles on it when I got it in mid 80s and it had glued wheels on 1 side and riveted on the other and have seen that combo before. The glued in wheels have a pressed in groove inside center of rim to hold center hub to the outer rim shell and cant be taken apart without destroying either the center hub or outer chrome shell. I think the glued rim change to rivet was a running change and the recall was a lugnut hole problem as I have seen some wheels with the lugnut hole machined to deep. Remember these wheels were MADE IN JAPAN !!!!!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
I am posting a email from Vinnie our illustrious 68-70 SAAC registrar for those unaware with Mongo's permission of course.                                                                                                                                                                                   
  On Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 07:22:07 PM CST, Vincent Liska <vinman@infionline.net> wrote:

Because they were “not sure” what the problem was early on

1. chamfer was their first best guess at the lowest cost.

There was also grist mill testing and many memos on re torquing and going back
and checking under the grist mill sequence.

2. different lugs so the wheels would be centered in the axle center line to
deter any imbalance and in keeping the wheels centered.
It was also found in Northern and snow area material deterioration between the metals.

3. finally new wheels with rivets.

I got all three warranty services on my original car 9F02R480448 Jan 22 build.

Happy Holidays

v
FYI Vinnie is original owner of 9F02R480448 .

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 04:25:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies and information.

Did anyone ever hear of the early rims having the center hub coming separated from outer chrome shell due to a glue failure back in the day? 

It seems the new rims with rivets were created as a running production change (according to Ed), and not because the wording in a recall letter required them.  I can see where the rims might come off the car if the lugs came loose due to the chamfer being mismatched with the lug nut chamfer. 

I'm going to buy new rims regardless at this point.  I was curious about this issue, and what was actually called out in the recall letter as to the defect(s).  I'm not sure if recall letters were ever mailed to owners back then.  Vinnie told me he was called by the dealer for all recalls, and never received a letter.     

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies and information.

Did anyone ever hear of the early rims having the center hub coming separated from outer chrome shell due to a glue failure back in the day? 

It seems the new rims with rivets were created as a running production change (according to Ed), and not because the wording in a recall letter required them.  I can see where the rims might come off the car if the lugs came loose due to the chamfer being mismatched with the lug nut chamfer. 

I'm going to buy new rims regardless at this point.  I was curious about this issue, and what was actually called out in the recall letter as to the defect(s).  I'm not sure if recall letters were ever mailed to owners back then.  Vinnie told me he was called by the dealer for all recalls, and never received a letter.     
Yes, had a wheel partly come apart because the wheel center cracked. I don't know if it was specifically because of glue failure or not but attributed it to the glued in style of wheel because the center was partially pulled away from the rim. I have had other 69/70 that over the years that wheel corroded between the rim and the wheel center which could and did lead to failure on some wheels that were on a trailer.  Those were also glued in wheels . I have seen numerous wheels like that with the corrosion while buying and selling which the overwhelming majority were the glued in style. Possibly glue failure (just a theory) allowed moisture in between the center and the rim causing rust corrosion to grow. Just from my observations which are many this corrosion issue is seen more on the glued in wheels then the riveted version. FYI once the corrosion effects the aluminum center Craig can not restore the wheel. The rim is sometimes salvageable however few if any will rechrome the rim and restore the center. At least I don't know of any at this time.