Author Topic: 1965 & 1966 GT350 Car covers & car capsules  (Read 3765 times)

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
1965 & 1966 GT350 Car covers & car capsules
« on: February 26, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »
1. Has anyone purchased a fitted car cover they really like for a 65 or 66 GT350?

I’d like to purchase both a soft cover for inside a garage and a rainproof cover for use outside in the environment too.

2. How about these capsule type garage storage units? Does any have experience with them?

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 & 1966 GT350 Car covers & car capsules
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
I used the air inflated system for one of my cars. I live in Wisconsin and have an unrestored original Vette. I had a detached garage that was not heated or air conditioned. I used the inflatable system to store it in the winter and through the spring. It worked out really well for me. It kept the rodents from entering the vehicle. It kept the air circulating around the car so there was zero condensation or moisture on the vehicle at any time. It was super easy to install. You basically drive on top of it, hook up your battery charger and zip it up. It stayed inflated the whole season. There is a filter that goes over the fan that keeps the dust out as well. I was very pleased with the system and the overall cost vs. leaving it to the elements.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »
I've wanted to buy a capsule.   I see there are numerous ones out there, some better that others I'm sure.  condensation is my biggest concern though

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:03:08 PM »
... since the air flow is constant, i experienced zero condensation. My garage floor in the spring would be damp, but inside the capsule was nice and dry. I had the same concerns.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »
Interesting topic...I have a "car capsule" that came along with my car when I bought it but have never used it or even given it a second look. I also have a detached garage (my wife calls it Garage Mahal  ;D) and it has it's own furnace system, yet I am concerned about condensation, etc., coming up through the concrete floor. Being in Canada we have a longer winter storage period. The garage was built in the 70's so I seriously doubt anyone worried about sealing it while pouring the floor. I had thought about getting a large rubber mat to park over...but the car capsule might be the perfect solution!

Thanks for bringing this up and reminding me I have one!
65 GT350

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 03:33:35 PM »
Interesting topic...I have a "car capsule" that came along with my car when I bought it but have never used it or even given it a second look. I also have a detached garage (my wife calls it Garage Mahal  ;D) and it has it's own furnace system, yet I am concerned about condensation, etc., coming up through the concrete floor. Being in Canada we have a longer winter storage period. The garage was built in the 70's so I seriously doubt anyone worried about sealing it while pouring the floor. I had thought about getting a large rubber mat to park over...but the car capsule might be the perfect solution!

A piece of plastic driven over in the parking spot will be a barrier for moisture coming up through the floor. I typically by a roll of 100 x 10 clear plastic at home depot for use to put on top of cars stored under car covers put it could be used on the floor as well. I have no experience with the car capsule but it looks like it would work fine . I have used the Car Jacket (heavy zip up bag)type storage system where you use reusable dissident zipped up along with the car that works well also . I think it is more economical . There was a time when I stored a vehicle under a carport in the bag over a winter and the gray zip up bag disguised the Shelby also . Out of sight out of mind. The car capsule on the other hand allows you to show case your car in your building. different needs justify different products.   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:51:50 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
I use this one called Carcoon made in UK.
two 12v motors changing the air through dust filters.
has zip open side and back panels for access and light weight metal tube frame,
love it, i have just bought one for the 17
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:06:13 PM by 6s2020 »

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »

Agreed, interesting topic, fortunately it doesn't apply to me. My New York home is modern (circa 2006) with radiant heated floors including all the garages and my shop. I just put up the car on jack stands (I use 6 HD stands) remove all the wheels so not to flat spot them, then cover the car with one I bought from Valley Mustang (Brant H.). My NY home is in the 1000 islands area, off the St Lawrence River across from Kingston Canada. Where are you?

Cheers,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:15:33 PM by SFM5S000 »

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »
Radiant heat is a nice touch...
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 06:51:44 PM »

Agreed, interesting topic, fortunately it doesn't apply to me. My New York home is modern (circa 2006) with radiant heated floors including all the garages and my shop. I just put up the car on jack stands (I use 6 HD stands) remove all the wheels so not to flat spot them, then cover the car with one I bought from Valley Mustang (Brant H.). My NY home is in the 1000 islands area, off the St Lawrence River across from Kingston Canada. Where are you?

Cheers,
~Earl J

I am just south of Vancouver, BC, right on the border with Washington State (I could hit a pitching wedge into the US from my yard). The heated floor makes sense and if I was building from scratch I would also incorporate some form of vapor barrier to prevent moisture/condensation from seeping up through the concrete floor. Cheers.
65 GT350

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »
I had a car bubble for the red one and it worked well for a year and then the zipper broke.  The slider jammed up.  I still use the plastic bottom as a vapor barrier for the 89 Saleen.  I believe it was a Carcoon.  But there are different makers.  Perhaps I just had bad luck with this one.  When it worked it was great I can testify.

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 05:00:45 AM »
Thank you very much for the replies you guys. Here what I learned:
1. I’ll purchase a cover from a Mustang spec shop to get one that fit. Here’s why:I or two covers from an online cover dealer:one for a 1966 E-Type Coupe, the other for the 1966 GT 350. And...there identical.

Right. One size fits a bunch of cars—just not very well.

2. The Car capsule is probably a good idea but expect the usual issues like problematic and annoying zippers breaking etc.

Thanks again for the input.

Mark Samson

Palo Alto, CA

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »
I have used California Car Covers plush weave car cover and a car jacket for over 20 years. Car jackets (made in TN) are a big zip lock bag, just with a zipper. No spiders or rodents get in. Mine are indoors or in my barn. I clean the cars after driving and put them in the bag. Then I can just unzip and ready to go.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT