News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'66 GT-350 Grille Emblem

Started by OldGuy, December 11, 2019, 05:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGuy

Guys, I'm running out of resources to answer the following questions myself. I want to install a grille emblem on my car (6S803) as a previous owner (thief?) removed the original emblem.

I have a mint used emblem (C4ZB-16C228-C) left side running horse and a reproduced (long ago) S2MS-8202-A bracket set to work with. My questions are with respect to the flat spring nuts (AKA "tinnerman") that retain the emblem in the brackets.

The '66 Shelby Unique Parts Manual specifies 45052-S7 nuts for this application. My AMK Product Guide describes these nuts as being used on .187Ø studs AND are very large (length/width) for this application. The stud diameters (on my emblems) are nominally .093Ø.

Question#1: Do you know what the REAL flat spring nuts (part number and/or physical dimensions) were used for this purpose?

Question#2: Do you know what the finish of the brackets should be (bare, PO, painted, etc.)?

Question#3: Does anyone have a picture of the back side of the grille-attached emblem that they could share?

Like I stated, I'm out of options on my end to answer these questions. Any wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank 

6s1640

Hi Oldguy,

See below images.  I will let you examine the brackets and clips and let you make your own assessment on your questions.  These images are from an un-restored, early, post carryover 1966 GT350.  The last time these pieces were touched and installed were by a Shelby American employee back in circa late November 1965.

The repop kits you are referring to come with three brackets and three clips.  You will see there are only two sets here and the bottom pin on the emblem was broken off to fit.  I have installed this emblem on other GT350's, one rung lower in the grill without having to break any pins off and with only two sets of mounting hardware.  I could not get three sets of bracket and clips to fit.

Hope this helps.

Cory

SFM66H

Cory,

Excellent validation of the same thing I found on my assembly line grille & emblem. Thanks for posting these great photos and information for everyone to understand how this component was originally installed.

Kieth
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976