News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 GT350 Fastback trunk Mat

Started by Corey Bowcutt, February 26, 2018, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I would like to get the correct trunk mat for my February 12 1968 GT350.  I see on Thecoralsnake.com that the speckled mat is what is discussed.  I have seen plaid in many cars.  Is it an either or situation or should it be speckled? 

Also where is the best place to buy one of these. 

Pete talks about  a pad that goes between the mat and the fuel tank.  Is that a separate part or is it attached to the mat.  If separate where is the best place to buy this as well?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on February 26, 2018, 12:56:59 PM
I would like to get the correct trunk mat for my February 12 1968 GT350.  I see on Thecoralsnake.com that the speckled mat is what is discussed.  I have seen plaid in many cars.  Is it an either or situation or should it be speckled? 

Also where is the best place to buy one of these. 

Pete talks about  a pad that goes between the mat and the fuel tank.  Is that a separate part or is it attached to the mat.  If separate where is the best place to buy this as well?
There is a solid gray felt looking pad that was also used less frequently in production and service. The speckled mat gets much less push back in acceptance. I think NPD sells it as their concours mat but have not looked it up recently . The price was around 89.00 if I remember correctly. The gas tank pad was also typical in use production . There are several places that sell versions of them like Dead nuts,Virginia Mustang and NPD. The virgina and NPD may need some modification. There is a good instructive DIY article in the Concours Mustang Members library also . FYI the mats were typically glued down with yellow contact cement . It didn't hold well on the material of the mat and would release over time .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

J_Speegle

Pictures of two versions of underlayment installed in 68 NJ cars

Little bit of adhesive on the passenger trunk floor on this one. Ignore the rattle can black or undercoating in these first two pictures::)

And a couple of examples of the adhesive used to retain the trunk mat in place on some 68 NJ cars

Not sure if all 68 NJ cars used the trunk board for under the spare

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

papa scoops

i'm an early march car, has the tar underlay/top of tank mat, and the grey felt mat over top of that. the speckled mat was, as I recall, a service replacement, with a 70 part number,this was shortly after the felt mat was superceeded. have seen this in a lot of 68 shelbys and mustangs, all body styles. phred (I still have the originals, they wer a pile of junk that wadded up all the time.