Author Topic: Original Coupes  (Read 3833 times)

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
Original Coupes
« on: January 02, 2020, 04:09:21 PM »
I’ve pictures of the bold on the original Coupe (CSX2287) it looks like they had big rollers to form the panels to fit the body buck. Questions are. Was the same body buck sent to Italy? Were the panels rolled or panel beaten in Italy. I know that all were different but was just wondering about the differences between the car. Any book that really covers the cars
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

prototypefan

• View Profile
Re: Original Coupes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
Steve

The bible on these cars is a book called.     Daytona COBRA coupes by Brock, Stauffer and Friedman published by Stauffer publishing

Uber cool book

john galt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 06:43:15 PM »
CSX#2287's alum body panels were shaped by Cal Metal artisans using Yoder power hammers. 

Carrozzeria Gransport in Modena used the traditional Italian method of mallet on wood stump to shape the other five Daytona alum body panels. 

Supposedly, the same wood station buck was used for all of the Daytona's. 

However, several issues arose that affected the body shape/profile of each Daytona: differences in the tubular superstructure of each car, warpage of the main frame tubes when the triangulation tubing were brazed to them and confusion converting fractional measurements to millimeters in Modena. 

History tells us all the little discrepancies didn't matter as much back in the analog days of racing, as the super talented combination of Brock/Fabricators/Mechanics/Drivers of Shelby American (and Alan Mann) turned the Daytona's into true World Champions. 

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:48:16 PM »
The roof on the Italian built cars ended up being a little higher. The headlamp openings are different also.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »
Steve

The bible on these cars is a book called.     Daytona COBRA coupes by Brock, Stauffer and Friedman published by Stauffer publishing

Uber cool book
Thanks. That’s what I was looking for  but the price is Coupe like  at $750
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
The roof on the Italian built cars ended up being a little higher. The headlamp openings are different also.

I noticed the difference of the headlamp pocket shape on CSX2287 vs the other cars.
CSX2287 seemed to have a deeper cut along the bottom edge, the others a more gradual radius line.
I just never asked here if that was a valid observation.
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
I’ve pictures of the bold on the original Coupe (CSX2287) it looks like they had big rollers to form the panels to fit the body buck. Questions are. Was the same body buck sent to Italy? Were the panels rolled or panel beaten in Italy. I know that all were different but was just wondering about the differences between the car. Any book that really covers the cars

nope  pretty much all 6 are different  think 2287 is the closest to what brock planned.   2299 the main hoop was installed at shelby american an 1 inch too tall shipped to italy for body  and the panel beaters took some  liberties to  make it work .  and shipped it back!

that daytona coupe book is really nice  wish i bought 10 of them back then   
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 03:02:17 PM »
Love the story about how after 2287's stint at Bonneville, No one wanted it at $800, and how the Alan Mann cars came within a whiskers hair of being dumped out at sea.  Crazy!

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-coverage/goodwood-revival/2015/9/turning-down-a-daytona-coupe-for-$800-and-almost-dumping-the-lot-into-the-sea-with-peter-brock/
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 10:59:32 AM »
Here are some pics of coupes, from a piece in Vintage Motorsport Sept/Oct. '93, written by Pete Brock on the Daytonas. Shows the

roof profiles.

from the top they are i.d'd as

CSX2287 at Reims, June '64

CSX2299 at Reims, June '64

CSX2601 at Daytona '65

(photos: Dave Friedman, Pete Brock & Vintage Motorsport)

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 04:22:19 PM »
  Odd how the #15 car above i so Ferrari-like

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 04:36:20 PM »
  Odd how the #15 car above i so Ferrari-like

Yes, kinda seems that the GTO shape that appeared a couple years before (1962) was adapted to the Cobra, the Simeone has one of each and did a comparison event;

https://simeonemuseum.org/photos/cobra-daytona-vs-ferrari-250-gto-a-design-evaluation/

some side by side images...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 04:55:26 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0