News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Bullitt stays in USA !!!!

Started by Bob Gaines, January 16, 2020, 05:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

patina...I'll drink to that...salud !

back to the discussion,  so bullitt will stay in the USA

Quote from: Side-Oilers on January 17, 2020, 12:14:18 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative with what I'm about to say, but IMO, "patina" is the most overused and ridiculous word in the car industry.  It simply means wear.

Yes, there are many, many, many nice old, original cars with "appropriate patina" for their age. When it helps to qualify the car's originality, that's a good use of the word, IMO.

But, I think most of us have seen real POS cars that someone is trying to pass off as being special because it has that magical word "patina."  In some of those cases, the seller is trying to get us to believe that tons of rust, a seized engine and a thrashed interior are cool because of the "patina."

It's almost as overused and mis-used of a word as "barn find."

I'm a word guy, so stuff like that bugs me.

OK, let the banana throwing begin.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

mark p

Quote from: Side-Oilers on January 17, 2020, 12:14:18 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative with what I'm about to say, but IMO, "patina" is the most overused and ridiculous word in the car industry.  It simply means wear.

Yes, there are many, many, many nice old, original cars with "appropriate patina" for their age. When it helps to qualify the car's originality, that's a good use of the word, IMO.

But, I think most of us have seen real POS cars that someone is trying to pass off as being special because it has that magical word "patina."  In some of those cases, the seller is trying to get us to believe that tons of rust, a seized engine and a thrashed interior are cool because of the "patina."

It's almost as overused and mis-used of a word as "barn find."

I'm a word guy, so stuff like that bugs me.

OK, let the banana throwing begin.

Well stated!
but, without Kiwi, not sure who else is gonna throw the banana?  :o

Altho... since those "old" owners cashed out for over $3 million, I'd say their choices are pretty hard to disagree with  ??? ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

BGlover67

Excellent point Mark.  They obviously did something right.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CSX 4133

You can lay the blame for the expression "Patina" on the classic show car genre. It's become quite "fashionable" to bring an original car to places like Pebble Beach bearing well worn paint, etc. The coining of the word Patina applies to the paint, interior, even the motor if it's been left in "as found" condition. I guess saying the car is completely original left too much to the imagination.

FL SAAC

" PROVENANCE "

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

Agreed, CSX 4133.   My ire is with the people who apply the term to less-than-good cars in a effort to bamboozle someone.

Patina is also used in the antique furniture business, of course, and in my experience you need to watch out for just about as many fraudsters there as in vintage car sales. 

Caveat patina emptor!

Agreed, Tony.  Provenance is a much more useful thing, for knowledgeable buyers.  And, we've certainly seen that phrase over-used too.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Shelby_r_b

Agreed, regarding the misuse of the words "patina" and "barn find".

Case in point:  the car below that was a no sale at Kissimmee.  If you look closely, you'll see HUGE holes in the lower quarters (I could have dropped a football from inside the trunk to the ground without hitting anything on either side of the gas tank) and holes on the forward and aft areas of the aprons on both sides.

There seemed to be no money in the room, and it looked to be shill bid up to $37K.  BTW - I checked after it crossed the block, and the reserve was $65K.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-396954/1969-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/

Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

FL SAAC

every time we hear the words patina, barn find, provenance before the introduction we know here comes another SH#T BOX

what about that bullitt staying in the continental states

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

I am very glad that Bullitt is staying in the USA.   Any intel on who bought it yet...other than Mr. Gaines and he ain't talking.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on January 17, 2020, 04:06:31 PM
every time we hear the words patina, barn find, provenance before the introduction we know here comes another SH#T BOX

what about that bullitt staying in the continental states

Hole-y cow!
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

CSX 4133

Regarding the potential buyer of the Bullet car, my guess is it may end up with Ron Pratt.

gt350hr

Pratt hasn't been buying for a couple of years. Not that he couldn't though.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.