News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

R-Model Oil Cooler

Started by R-MODEL1965, January 31, 2020, 10:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R-MODEL1965

Hello,

This is my first post in the forum. I am trying to find a fitting for my r-model oil cooler. I was wondering if anyone knows what threads I need to fit the threads I have circled in the photo.

Thanks!

mlplunkett

That should be 3/4" NPT threats. I have the same casting and I'm also looking for the associated fittings. I don't even have the fitting that attaches the casting to the block at the original filter location so if anyone has specs on those parts it would save me some head scratching. I'm also looking for the oil cooler and hoses for this setup.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mlplunkett on February 01, 2020, 05:27:16 PM
That should be 3/4" NPT threats. I have the same casting and I'm also looking for the associated fittings. I don't even have the fitting that attaches the casting to the block at the original filter location so if anyone has specs on those parts it would save me some head scratching. I'm also looking for the oil cooler and hoses for this setup.
Cobra Automotive sells the oil cooler , oil cooler mounting brackets , oil filter adapter ,and I think hoses. I typically go to a Aeroquip dealer and have the hoses made up. You can also get the ends and fittings and hose from them and cut to fit yourself . If you are looking for a economy version of the correct looking set up then good luck with that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mlplunkett

Thanks for the reminder Bob. I knew I had seen that kit before but couldn't remember where I saw it and Web searches were not getting to it for some reason.

As for the part in question, assuming this ebay sale is correct original stuff it looks like the hose ends are marked as AN-12.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291970295394

If that's correct the part you're looking for can be found here.
https://www.holley.com/products/plumbing_an_fittings_and_hose/adapters/npt_to_an_adapters/npt_to_an_90_degree/parts/982212ERL

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mlplunkett on February 02, 2020, 12:09:43 AM
Thanks for the reminder Bob. I knew I had seen that kit before but couldn't remember where I saw it and Web searches were not getting to it for some reason.

As for the part in question, assuming this ebay sale is correct original stuff it looks like the hose ends are marked as AN-12.

If that's correct the part you're looking for can be found here.
https://www.holley.com/products/plumbing_an_fittings_and_hose/adapters/npt_to_an_adapters/npt_to_an_90_degree/parts/982212ERL
Yes Cory L has had those for sale off and on for at least 2 years. The original fittings were steel and typically silver and not blue anodized . As you can see they are relatively simple to make ether by your areoquip dealer or yourself.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mlplunkett

Was that 90 degree fitting steel (stainless?) on the originals? All the ones available now, including Cory's show that fitting in the blue anodized.

shelbydoug

You can remove the blue anodized finish from the aluminum but you can get Aeroquip adapters in steel.

3/4npt 90 to -6 or -8 is a little rare but you can find them.

Try anplumbing.com.

If you can get me a picture of the fitting, I can probably find something close.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 02, 2020, 05:48:38 PM
You can remove the blue anodized finish from the aluminum but you can get Aeroquip adapters in steel.

3/4npt 90 to -6 or -8 is a little rare but you can find them.

Try anplumbing.com.

If you can get me a picture of the fitting, I can probably find something close.
+1 you an find them .

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mlplunkett on February 02, 2020, 04:55:58 PM
Was that 90 degree fitting steel (stainless?) on the originals? All the ones available now, including Cory's show that fitting in the blue anodized.
Stainless was not used.Just because Corey shows something doesn't make it so . Corey is a enthusiast and not a authority. ;)

R-MODEL1965

What size an hose would everyone recommend running?

shelbydoug

For oil you want at least a -8 but a -10 isn't a bad idea. That's what I run.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mlplunkett

Surely somebody knows what size the originals were. Am I correct that the items in this online sale are marked as AN12?

shelbydoug

I believe that that is a -8 hose.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mlplunkett

I looked at some Aeroquip fittings and it would appear that the 12 stamped into the Ebay item does in fact designate it as an AN12 fitting. I checked the original hoses that came with a 67-68 GT500 oil cooler and they are AN8 which seems too small at about 3/8" ID. All the internal passages related to the oil filter and the filter adapter are 1/2" passages. That would mean you need AN10 hoses and fittings to keep from generating a restriction. Still wish someone with an original car would chime in and tell us what came off the R model assembly line.

FWIW I checked with Cobra Automotive and their hoses and fittings are AN12.