Author Topic: Any good Holley Carburetor rebuiders on here?  (Read 8782 times)

427Larry

• View Profile
Re: Any good Holley Carburetor rebuiders on here?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 06:20:56 AM »
1967' Eightbarrel,  What speaks volume is that NASCAR paid Willy one and half million dollars for one days worth of work, because he got 1 1/2 h.p in that time frame, (and by the way Tony Stewart was there when that happended), and NASCAR called him because of his reputation. You know of any other carb. builder who got paid that, I don't think so. His carburetors he makes (patented), 650 CFM will work on a 950h.p. With his carbs. you can tune every cylinder perfectly, and no flood stall with his patented bowls (Holley has been trying to buy him out for years). Just two years ago, every racing engine builder engine was 1-2 h.p apart, and Willy came in with his new carb., and got 20-30 h.p on the first day. Like I said he beyond genius, and a really nice guy to boot. Before you doubt someone, you ought to know your facts, my carb. does in fact make another 30h.p., every carb. he does goes on one of dyno's ( he has three), before it leaves his shop, so he knows exactly what h.p. it makes. Another nice thing that he does, is he will set them up for ethanol, if you are running that. Ask any racer and he will tell you if you are not running a Willy's carb., you are simply are not competitive.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 10:24:37 AM »
Well he seems to have some background having NASCAR winning products in a VERY competitive series.  "Willy’s Carburetor and Dyno Shop manufactures high performance carburetors for racing engines. Established in 1985, Willy builds asphalt and dirt circle track racing carburetors, as well as drag racing, marine, truck pulling, and pro street carbs. He builds for both gasoline and alcohol burning engines. Willys’ team of skilled technicians work to build the best possible carburetors for the customers’ specific requirements. He DOES 2BBLs also.
http://www.willyscarbs.com/850-cup-carburetors/
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 11:11:32 AM »
Joe has been restoring carburetors for me for at least 30 years. Fantastic attention to detail and restoration of all appearance items, plating, ink stamps, colors of plating and colors of anodizing. Joe worked at the Holley shop in the 1980's where he learned how to build them properly. Very satisfying to plop one of Joe's works of art on your engine and have it light off and run perfectly every time.

I also used Mike Ulrey years ago and he also did fine work but Mike passed away maybe 10 years ago. 

I was told that Joe Bunetic is one of the best at rebuilding Holley carbs.  I believe he is in the Chicago area,
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Jbarela

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »
I sent our carb to Curt, he sent it out to Joe for me. When Joe finished with his incredible restoration and rebuild Curt had his guy go through it and blue print it. When it came back home I put it on and a few pedal pumps and she runs great!! I highly recommend Joe for an incredible restoration, and Curt's guy for the blueprinting work. Hands down, worth the money.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »
You can make them "look good" all day.  Those whose cars roll on and off a trailer they're great. I explained what Drew did to correct mine Holley didn't machine them correctly. Drew checks EVERY orifice on them to make sure they spec out. It was missed by the recommended builder here and we had the discussion about it ruining an engine.. I am not running a stock PI with a stock cam.  Drew also runs the carb and sets them up. He is more than fair price wise. Did you bother to look at what your recommended rebuilder charges? Joe doesn't run them. Ask me how I know.

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2020, 05:32:38 PM »
Drew Pojedinec at Air Fuel Spark does an exceptional job on Holley Carbs. Sent my sick 715 to him and when reinstalled, engine runs fantastic.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=air%20fuel%20spark&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Drew is a member of this forum
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:35:44 PM by mygt350 »
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

sd427

• SAAC Member
  • Member LA SAAC
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle club
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 07:14:09 PM »
Culver carburetor in Culver City ,ca. rebuilt em last time I checked....

Did Culver Carb close? Tried googling Culver Carb and came across a company named California Carb & Auto Repair in Lawndale, says it bought Culver Carb in 2007.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 10:40:13 PM »
Drew Pojedinec at Air Fuel Spark does an exceptional job on Holley Carbs. Sent my sick 715 to him and when reinstalled, engine runs fantastic.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=air%20fuel%20spark&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Drew is a member of this forum
I highly recommend Drew. He has perfected the finish and flat out does fantastic work, fairly priced and solved an issue that a big dollar rebuilder missed.
I can't say enough about his service, willingness to field calls and walk you through any issue.
Holley had screwed up and drilled two different sizes of holes in the same metering block. It constantly dripped fuel into the intake on the rear carb. I had a set of rings that didn't seat and the fuel in the oil destroyed the bearings. Had I not sent them to him it would have been missed and I'd have gone through it once again. It ran so rich at idle it was miserable to drive.
                                                                                -Keith
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:59:32 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:25 PM »
I don't know if the Culver Carburetor you reference is the same place as the old shop by the same name when I lived in Culver City, back in the 1960s-70s.

I stopped in there a couple of times, back in the day, but the guy who owned the place was a cranky old dude who wasn't interested in helping a teenager understand anything.

It was on Washington Place, just east of Sepulveda.   
https://www.loopnet.com/property/11167-washington-pl-culver-city-ca-90232/06037-4213017002/

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 01:50:33 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 12:28:46 AM »
That was the place alright,they did a great job rebuilding my Holley.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 12:35:47 AM »
Keith, are you running a pressure regulator between your pump and log?

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2020, 02:27:54 AM »
No regulator. I am running a 427 canister filter.  I would be careful with the Carter unit currently made.. It was running 8-9lbs. The Edelbrock runs 6-6.5 so there is no issue with the needle being bumped off the seat.

-Keith

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
That Carter unit has caused a lot of drama for folks. Some of them don’t self regulate all that well.

As far as carburetor rebuilders,
Willy’s is indeed an awesome fella.
BLP is as well.
There are many rebuilders out there who can do a very good job.
For generic or race carbs I would trust a dozen builders out there.

For restoring work where you save the original parts at all cost, a restorer becomes more important.
Joe Bunetic and I do both do restorations.
Mr Joe has been restoring carbs as long as I’ve been alive. The only difference I have seen in our end Result is testing them. Half the time you probably don’t need to, but I hate finding the occasional problem child.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:26:06 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 09:20:12 AM »
Hi Drew.  How do we make contact with you?  I do not do Facebook so the link is nothing here.

Thanks again for all you do for this hobby.

All the best,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
Just pm me here. If you prefer text or email let me know via pm and we will go like that.
I work 28/28 offshore and when I get home I do about 30 restorations.... so as nice as phone calls are, I like having a text format to refer to for our conversation. Helps me stay organized 😀