News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original 289 Trans Am Intake "Linkage?"

Started by Starliner, February 08, 2020, 05:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TA Coupe

I finally found a picture in my files of the heads that Randy is describing below since a lot of people don't believe they exist.

Roy

Quote from: gt350hr on February 10, 2020, 02:58:35 PM
    Doug Roy has cylinder heads that few know exist. They are indeed canted valve heads BUT they have 289 size ports and accept 289 / 302 intake manifolds. So Roy uses the 289 T/A intake on this "special" set of heads. To fill you in a bit , Ford want to do a "low cost" boss engine for '70 and built some prototype parts . I have the Engineering proposal paperwork . The program wasn't enough of a saving to warrant it . Some of the heads "escaped" and Roy had an engine built with them. They have conventional "style" Boss exhaust ports but are down sized a bit. Really cool and REALLY rare.
   "67,8,9" dual four manifolds all had the carbs facing forward. In the begining , the Ford linkage was used with BJ-BK carbs. Later the teams made their own versions which used "heim joints" ( or spherical rod ends) . Most used steel tubing for the "linking" between the rod ends. Mine was made by Shelby Racing Company and was one of the first to use aluminum hex stock. The next year (70) dual quads were illegal.
      Randy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

They look a bit like the C302 Motorsport aluminum heads although I think on those the top of the port is high and raised above stock location?

Also the location of the port is low like on the 2v Cleveland heads.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

These heads are another example of how LITTLE we know of what was made by Ford. The aluminum '73 wedge heads Roy had are another example and there were 2 bolt main aluminum blocks ( low performance) 302 blocks made and tested too. Stuff like this what I like to chase after and why I know it exists. The challenge is correctly identifying "why" it was made via Ford paper trails. Many like to elude to these parts as exotic or Holman Moody parts when reality is they were a design study for a particular or possible project. Not every experiment worked so many never saw the public eye.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on April 21, 2020, 03:10:04 PM
  These heads are another example of how LITTLE we know of what was made by Ford. The aluminum '73 wedge heads Roy had are another example and there were 2 bolt main aluminum blocks ( low performance) 302 blocks made and tested too. Stuff like this what I like to chase after and why I know it exists. The challenge is correctly identifying "why" it was made via Ford paper trails. Many like to elude to these parts as exotic or Holman Moody parts when reality is they were a design study for a particular or possible project. Not every experiment worked so many never saw the public eye.
    Randy

I had a special intake casting that came out of Southern Cal. You must be in the epi-center of special castings.

The Dearborn, MI, vicinity is like a gold mine also.

What are the valve sizes in Roy's heads?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68stangcjfb

These are probably common compared to those canted valve Windsor Cleveland hybrid heads but a friend of mine has a set of 2 Barrel aluminum 351 Cleveland heads. XP part numbered if I remember correctly. He said they were saved from a dumpster. I was holding one of them in my hand.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

gt350hr

The number would have been XE as XP was used by the Automatic trans division. There is another great example , thank you! As I always say "EVERY" part was experimental at first. I have XE fan belts , thermostats , brackets , hoses, etc. that are very close to "production" parts on various engines.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.