News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Paint daubs on inside of steel wheels

Started by whiteykr, March 03, 2018, 01:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiteykr

I saw on eBay recently supposed concours correct steel wheels with white paint daubs on inside of wheels. I have a 100% original wheel with grey daubs in two places on rear of wheel. This has not been screwed with so am wondering what the experts say is correct. Info on my wheel is K 2 8  6 20 and car was built in July. Thanks Brad

68blk500c

I'm going to say that there is variation on this particular detail.  I have run into off-white or beige daubs on the rim tire surface (read hidden by the mounted tire).  Those were superb condition original dry climate wheels.  That daub is likely either an inspection mark or a quick visual identification mark, either of which could have random placement by various workers. 

Not challenging the daub being on the backside near the weight area (I have seen that also), just offering other observations.

papa scoops

I thought the daubs were for the heaviest or lightest part of the wheel, so when mounting the tire, you matched up the dots...no? phred

davez

I had a full set where instead of daubs  the Inside Edge of the rim was sprayed white all the way around about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide

KR500

Quote from: 68blk500c on March 03, 2018, 10:32:19 AM
I'm going to say that there is variation on this particular detail.  I have run into off-white or beige daubs on the rim tire surface (read hidden by the mounted tire).  Those were superb condition original dry climate wheels.  That daub is likely either an inspection mark or a quick visual identification mark, either of which could have random placement by various workers. 

Not challenging the daub being on the backside near the weight area (I have seen that also), just offering other observations.
+1. I have some wheels with the two white/very light grey daubs. I have a set with a very light  yellow/beige sprayed on spots on the inner surface of the wheel (hidden when tire mounted). I have some wheels were I haven't found any marks.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

J_Speegle

Believe you will find that the markings were for identification of the rims since they were/have been found on wheels that have never had tires mounted on them
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Dizzy

Because there are not many ORIGINAL parts to inspect/compare,I can only offer my personal experiences.........
Wheels had ID paint marks AND another mark that marked runout /heavy area that would be used upon tire mounting........tires also had marking (wax) to mark heavy area AND once mounted and spun ( at assembly plant),there was another ,different color wax to indicate location and amount of balance weight(s). I worked as Ford dealer tech '66/ and attended quite a few NVH ( noise,vibration,harshness ) classes that explained what affected the vehicle/customer. Years ago quality of steel wheels and tires was not very good.........customers were getting fussier and times were changing. One change was going with aluminum wheels,not for appearance,but to reduce runout. Only the best tires had minimum runout and/or weight issues. Best I ever saw was Atlas Plycrons..........laugh,if you want,but good parts make the difference. Look at NOS tires ,if possible,and you will possibly see the those wax dots. Very fragile and most fell off after a few years. I still have a dial indicator to measure tire surface runout,and I believe Ford spec was .080 max. Techs that really tried to minimize vibrations would dismount/remount and remeasure to obtain best results.
Hope this helps explain some of those color markings on wheels and tires.......