Author Topic: hose clamps/ hoses  (Read 3058 times)

papa scoops

• View Profile
hose clamps/ hoses
« on: February 14, 2020, 04:37:14 PM »
doing a bit of spring detail. car is feb 66 build #1122, both ford and Shelby, original. which radiator hose, oval or square, what hose clamp, tower or wire, correct heater hose clamp, tower or wire. motor is jan 66 and original. clutch equalizer bar natural or black, which under hood clutch return spring, (can't remember, think it was lower, but does have provision for the rare firewall pinchweld hole.)coil bracket is black, hole or no hole, mount bolt smooth center, natural (can't remember if it's original or not). also looking for dye to use for original carpet haver usual ever so slight fade to brown except package area slight fade to grey. anyone found original or repop windshield, clear and thick? thanks group. phred

Rbwiii

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: hose clamps/ hoses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
Not sure about radiator  hose, but my December  build  car has
Tower clamps on all
Cluch equalizer bar is natural with bluing were the welds are.
Cluch return spring if you have the hole in the equalizer bar and the pinchweld hole should have top and bottom
Coil bracket can be phosphate or black, no indexing hole
Bolt is cad

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »
doing a bit of spring detail. car is feb 66 build #1122, both ford and Shelby, original. which radiator hose, oval or square, what hose clamp, tower or wire, correct heater hose clamp, tower or wire. motor is jan 66 and original. clutch equalizer bar natural or black, which under hood clutch return spring, (can't remember, think it was lower, but does have provision for the rare firewall pinchweld hole.)coil bracket is black, hole or no hole, mount bolt smooth center, natural (can't remember if it's original or not). also looking for dye to use for original carpet haver usual ever so slight fade to brown except package area slight fade to grey. anyone found original or repop windshield, clear and thick? thanks group. phred
I'll do a few-Which radiator hose, oval or square? If you mean stamps on hose it would have a fomoco in script the oval. what hose clamp, tower or wire? Most likely wire for that time period.Correct heater hose clamp? Tower type. Clutch equalizer bar natural or black? Bare steel look. Which under hood clutch return spring, (can't remember, think it was lower, but does have provision for the rare firewall pinchweld hole ? Springs are black on lower and upper . Brant at Virginia sells both lower and rare upper. Coil bracket is black, hole or no hole, mount bolt smooth center, natural ?  Both type coil brackets have been observed but I would use the coil bracket without the hole since it is the most typical for that time period. Mounting bolt is a SEMS type with raised outside edges and zinc silver finish. Hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 01:37:57 AM »
Curious about the upper clutch assist spring color...

Anyone seen an original with the original paint/finish intact? All the original unrestored springs I've seen are covered with grime and/or rust. Asking because of the weird green color of this NOS spring. I realize assembly and service parts are often different, especially the further they are removed from the original production time, but this by all appearances is a period service part. The later service parts were quite different in appearance. If the assembly line parts were not green why paint the period service part like this?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »
Curious about the upper clutch assist spring color...

Anyone seen an original with the original paint/finish intact? All the original unrestored springs I've seen are covered with grime and/or rust. Asking because of the weird green color of this NOS spring. I realize assembly and service parts are often different, especially the further they are removed from the original production time, but this by all appearances is a period service part. The later service parts were quite different in appearance. If the assembly line parts were not green why paint the period service part like this?

Thanks,
Dave
Good question. You would think that at least a small trace of the light green would easily  stand out given the contrast if they all had it. I have not come across it on survivor cars. Certainly a provocative theory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 04:42:28 PM »
The color is actually darker than the pics show, the flash makes it look like a brighter green than it is to the eye.
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »
Anyone seen an original with the original paint/finish intact? All the original unrestored springs I've seen are covered with grime and/or rust.

No

The later service parts were quite different in appearance. If the assembly line parts were not green why paint the period service part like this?

Service parts are often finished unlike original parts. Sometimes Ford didn't specify that detail in the contract with the additional parts - other times they did so that the parts were less likely to rust sitting for years on the shelves. Sometimes the service part has been condensed/changed slightly so that one part can fill multiple applications (reducing inventory needs) and the color is taken from one of the other original part finishes/applications

Guess the important thing for us is the original finish not why something may have been reproduced in a different one - though it does provide conversation
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 08:23:32 PM »
Guess the important thing for us is the original finish not why something may have been reproduced in a different one - though it does provide conversation

Agreed. But until a survivor with clear evidence of the original finish is found.....if the original finish is unknown, what is the recommended restoration finish? Would the finish on a period service part be considered, no matter how funky it is? 
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 10:03:18 PM »

Agreed. But until a survivor with clear evidence of the original finish is found.....if the original finish is unknown, what is the recommended restoration finish? Would the finish on a period service part be considered, no matter how funky it is?
Survivor examples that I have come across grease caked and rust aside had appeared in some instances to still have small dark pieces which I have associated with black paint remains. Maybe the remains are not black after all but  they look that way to my eyes.That is at least the way I formulated my opinion. I believe others have come to the same conclusion independently.  Consequently until more conclusive evidence suggest otherwise it would it would be prudent IMO to error on the side of caution and paint it black if intended for concours competition. Of course if you feel strongly based on the service part do what you think best but expect push back at least in concours. Just my opinion others may have different.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 10:09:54 PM »
Dave what is the part number on the one in the picture? Have a similar picture but no part number on the package.

Consider? Yes but duplicated .... not IMHO at this point.

Am going through pictures currently. Need to determine first which spring, physical characteristics, was used originally so a comparison can be made with what I'm finding on unrestored Mustangs and Shelby's. Also what applications ( engine size for one) share the same spring originally. Unfortunately MPC's typically list not what was original but what was carried that would work.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
Survivor examples that I have come across grease caked and rust aside had appeared in some instances to still have small dark pieces which I have associated with black paint remains. Maybe the remains are not black after all but  they look that way to my eyes.That is at least the way I formulated my opinion. I believe others have come to the same conclusion independently.  Consequently until more conclusive evidence suggest otherwise it would it would be prudent IMO to error on the side of caution and paint it black if intended for concours competition. Of course if you feel strongly based on the service part do what you think best but expect push back at least in concours. Just my opinion others may have different.

Thanks Bob. Certainly agree to error on the side of caution and paint it black for concours competition if that has what has been observed on survivors but it seems at this point that evidence is inconclusive. As mentioned the green in my photo is actually darker than shown and IMO could easily darken more with age, engine heat, etc.
Dave - 6S1757

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 11:37:38 PM »
Dave what is the part number on the one in the picture? Have a similar picture but no part number on the package.

Jeff, part number is C6ZZ-7523-C.

Consider? Yes but duplicated .... not IMHO at this point.

Am going through pictures currently. Need to determine first which spring, physical characteristics, was used originally so a comparison can be made with what I'm finding on unrestored Mustangs and Shelby's. Also what applications ( engine size for one) share the same spring originally. Unfortunately MPC's typically list not what was original but what was carried that would work.

Agree the MPC's can be confusing but at least all the one's I have are consistent with only one application for this spring....66 Mustang, 6&8, "From 2/14/66". Very weird shaped spring used only on one car for part of one year. Just trying to figure out if the assembly line part was even weirder painted green as the period service part "might" suggest"...

Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 01:21:24 AM »
Jeff, part number is C6ZZ-7523-C.

Took out a 68 MPC I had handy an it shows a 4 15/16 long spring with 12 1/2 coils. There is a note - From 2/14/66 for 6 & 8 cyl

Not sure that the date is exact - likely not but since we don't have real build dates we can only guess what cars (in that range) came one way or the other

Looks like tons of other small springs mentioned often for one application and one year also.

Should be able to find one or two originals since we have 10's if not 100's of thousands that were built

Need to look into it anyway for the 66 Running Changes thread over on CMF
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 01:31:43 AM by J_Speegle »

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Most ford springs were color coded or had a special plating coating to id them on the line for a running change or year make model engine trans etc . A raw steel un protected spring wouldn't last long out in the elements of the northeast with all the salt they used to put on the roads back in the day. I think that spring in the old fomoco bag would be correct era since in 67 parts started showing up in autolite boxes and bags.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:10:45 AM by Special Ed »

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 01:54:38 PM »
regarding the clutch spring, the one I bought is not an original. I bought it from one of our members, just in case. it is un painted, my car has the firewall hole, although it doesn't look like it was used as it has no scratches around it and the car is a feb build all the way. if you look in the mpc, not the common one out there,1973 final, but an original, you will see it has changed numbers, superceeded. knowing ford and their suppliers, is it possible that the color may reference to the strength? I know it did with the brake springs.