News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles

Started by FL SAAC, February 17, 2020, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Super Cobra Vignale, 1969

Starting with a 1969 Fairlane, the Super Cobra SportsRoof show car was lowered 2-inches and the front clip was stretched by 8-inches. Concealed headlights, wall-to-wall taillights, black metal louvers, and slant back windshield added to the racy exterior. The high performance 428 cubic inch V-8 engine powered the Super Cobra, and featured a tall shaker air scoop that poked through the hood. Custom interior was finished in candy-murano and hot red to compliment the red exterior.

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Continuing with our refreshing educational program, here you have the Ford Mach 2 was design by Larry Shinoda in 1970 as a challenger to the Chevrolet Corvette. It did not however meet production. The car was based on a De Tomaso Pantera chassis and engine. The rear design was influneced by the 1962 Corvair Monza GT. The Mach II project was abandonned when Ford teamed up with De Tomaso to sell the Pantera in the USA through there Lincoln-Mercury dealer network, which was cheaper than developing this car. Larry Shinoda left Ford soon after designing this car and went on to set up his own Comapny, Shinoda Design Associates.

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

I realize that you are probably just reading data from another source but the Pantera doesn't have a chassis. It is monocoque. It is one big tub of sheet metal.

You can't make it into a flip top without reinventing it.

The rear uprights are just sheet metal reinforcements of the rear fenders and it essentially has an integral sub frame in the rear.

If you told me that it was a tube chassis much like that of a coil spring Cobra, I'd believe that and with a molded fiberglass body.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

That is correct following script, thanks for the correction much appreciated.

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 22, 2021, 03:57:24 PM
I realize that you are probably just reading data from another source but the Pantera doesn't have a chassis. It is monocoque. It is one big tub of sheet metal.

The rear uprights are just sheet metal reinforcements of the rear fenders and it essentially has an integral sub frame in the rear.

If you told me that it was a tube chassis much like that of a coil spring Cobra, I'd believe that and with a molded fiberglass body.

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC on November 22, 2021, 03:59:54 PM
That is correct following script, thanks for the correction much appreciated.

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 22, 2021, 03:57:24 PM

I see the influences in the design from the GT40 a little but not much else? Show me a complete car that Shinoda actually did other then adding stripes, louvres and scoops to? Is there one?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

The 1970 Maverick Estate Coupe

Ford exhibited the Maverick Estate Coupe concept vehicle at the 1971 Chicago Auto Show. The Estate Coupe had a dark green padded "Landaulet" roof over the rear seating, and the body finished in limefire green. That unique color used a subtle gold-flake base, and complimented the avocado interior. Cast magnesium wheels had spoke design reminiscent of the classic wire wheels.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

More elegant puctures of the very desirable 1970 Maverick Estate Coupe

What fascinating and breathtaking vehicle

I have all UNGOLD cars

67 GT350

That is very cool....
Has that Gazzelle look? Not sure of my spelling.
RARE  Signature Delete

Side-Oilers

Looks like the result of a joke challenge between the Maverick's designers.

Designer Clem:  "Okay, who can make the Mav look even worse?"   

Designer Jed:  "We already designed a four-door, but it still isn't hideous enough."

Designer Goob:  "I got it!  Gimme a minute to sketch this beauty out!"

BTW:  No disrespect to the Maverick Grabber 302.  I think that's actually pretty cool.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 23, 2021, 11:55:08 AM

Designer Jed:  "We already designed a four-door, but it still isn't hideous enough."

BTW:  No disrespect to the Maverick Grabber 302.  I think that's actually pretty cool.

I think that in some cases these "design studies" are just to keep the designers busy.

It's like the military. If the platoon has nothing to do, you take them out in the woods and have them dig a hole. When you think that you are about half way through, you have them fill it up.

If the enemy happens to be watching, even better. Let them try to figure out what the hole is for?

Same thought process with the cars.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

This turns out to be more mysterious than Mithras

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 23, 2021, 12:07:00 PM

I think that in some cases these "design studies" are just to keep the designers busy.

It's like the military. If the platoon has nothing to do, you take them out in the woods and have them dig a hole. When you think that you are about half way through, you have them fill it up.

If the enemy happens to be watching, even better. Let them try to figure out what the hole is for?

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC on November 27, 2021, 08:41:28 AM
This turns out to be more mysterious than Mithras

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 23, 2021, 12:07:00 PM

Iranian's have nothing to do with it. Romans had an opinion on everyone. If they didn't like you, you got crucified.

Actually, that's incorrect. It wasn't Iran then. It was Persia, but no problem. We'll crucify you anyway, just for the Hell of it. Those troops needed to be kept busy. There was only so much burning, looting and raping you could do.

Not quite the same thing as a military excavation exercise.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

The car /  truck that never was, 1964 Mercury Ranchero

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

1969 Ford Aurora II Station Wagon

I have all UNGOLD cars