News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles

Started by FL SAAC, February 17, 2020, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68stangcjfb

That looks more like something from 1974.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Side-Oilers

It's a '69-70.  I doubt it was from 1964...even as a concept car.   

Pretty cool interior...sorta like Dean Martin/Matt Helm's Mercury Colony Park.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Gentlemen you are correct  that is the 1969 version the Aurora  II

The Aurora II takes the large wagon of the era and really re-evaluates how it can best be used. The two rows of big bench seats aren't really the best use of that interior space, are they? They just chop the interior of the car up into two stubby little half-rooms, using the same basic rules of cramming people into carsthat railcars have been using since the 1850s.

And I think the Aurora II did find a better way. Perhaps inspired by the flexible interiors of cars like the Stout Scarab, the Aurora II sacrifices driver's side rear access for a nice large pair of suicide doors on the passenger's side. Without a dividing B-pillar, the doors reveal a vast, unbroken space.

The rear bench has grown into a wraparound couch that curves and follows the other side of the car, leaving a nice large open area in the middle. The passenger's seat has become a Captain's Chair, and can swivel to engage the seating area in the back of the car, instead of being locked down, uselessly staring out the windshield.

The result was a car interior that felt like a room interior, and was airy and inviting and fun. The rear luggage area appears to be padded and upholstered as well, for more seating, but the real action is in this swank white-leather lounge lurking behind the woodgrain.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

This is the 1964 Aurora Station wagon

The 1950s and 1960s are considered by many to be the golden era of car production in the U.S. High standards of production, combined with stiff competition, and innovative design made this period a time when most of what are the desirable classic cars were built. A common part of publicity of many car companies of the era was to design concept cars. These models often had extremely high-tech features, only a handful of which would ever be incorporated into production car designs. Instead, concept cars showed what was possible and were made in limited numbers as bellwethers of how cutting edge a car company truly was. And, in 1964 Ford came out with a station wagon to beat all other station wagons.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Ford GN34

In the era of the original Acura NSX, the Lotus Esprit, the DeLorean, and even the Pontiac Fierro, wedged, mid-engined sports cars were bursting onto the scene. Some of which (Acura, Lotus) took the fight directly to Ferrari. Others (DeLorean, Fierro), failed to really take off. As for Ford Motor Company, there was an incredible mid-engined sports car in the works that would have been a retrolicious predecessor to the mighty Ford GT supercar we see today. Internally, it was called the Ford GN34, and it almost happened.

Early Design And Engineering
It began as just an idea from some of Ford's top brass as they wanted a sports car to rival the mid-engine Ferrari 328 and Honda's developing NSX but also wanted it to be affordable enough for the average person to buy. That being the case, part of the Ford GN34 market strategy was to kill off the iconic Ford Mustang, which didn't carry the same prestige as it does today, and slot this mid-engined sports car in its place. Can you imagine?

As for its looks, Ford also thought that designing the vehicle outside of the United States would ultimately make the GN34 perceived as more exotic than just a Corvette rival, they wanted it to be more "special." So, they phoned up Italdesign (founded by the legendary Giorgetto Giugiaro)

Upon searching far and wide for an engineering partner, Roush Engineering eventually rose to the top, coming up with an actual prototype based on the DeTomaso Pantera. Under the hood, the Ford GN34 was supposed to utilize a Yamaha built SHO V6 engine, which was actually used in the 1989-1991 Ford Taurus SHO. Yup, just as the Ford GT utilizes a EcoBoost today, Ford was tinkering with boosted V6 engines over 30 years ago.

Yet Ford didn't seem too keen on the Italdesign proposal anymore, so they continued to shop around for design houses, eventually landing on equally Italian Ghia. Except Ghia was actually a Ford subsidiary, and the design mock up they presented scored just as high as Ferraris did in the customer research clinics. It's the red one below. Maybe it's just the color, but you can see the Ferrari (and second-gen Esprit if we're honest) themes applied here.

The End Of The Ford GN34 Program

The decision to approve or deny the Ford GN34 program climaxed at a meeting in California where presentations were made on the mid-engined sports car, with the legendary Bob Lutz in the room. Yes, Lutz was a Ford executive, as well.

Maximum Bob decided it would be better to develop a four-door vehicle based on the Ford Bronco II, and call it an SUV.  His thinking was it was more practical and easier to sell to existing Ford customers. With this decision, the GN34 program went stillborn, and resources were allocated to this new SUV program, while the Ford Mustang stayed alive.

This vehicle became known as the Ford Explorer.

Where is the Ford GN34 today? If you want to see it, the mid-engined sports car is at the Roush Museum in Livonia, Michigan.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

^^^ I see some Mitsubishi Starion in there, too.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

67 GT350

Quote from: FL SAAC on November 22, 2021, 03:47:40 PM
Continuing with our refreshing educational program, here you have the Ford Mach 2 was design by Larry Shinoda in 1970 as a challenger to the Chevrolet Corvette. It did not however meet production. The car was based on a De Tomaso Pantera chassis and engine. The rear design was influneced by the 1962 Corvair Monza GT. The Mach II project was abandonned when Ford teamed up with De Tomaso to sell the Pantera in the USA through there Lincoln-Mercury dealer network, which was cheaper than developing this car. Larry Shinoda left Ford soon after designing this car and went on to set up his own Comapny, Shinoda Design Associates.

The RED car is interesting, now I know where Steve Saleen got his ideas from.
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

Quote from: 67 GT350 on March 22, 2022, 10:38:36 AM
Quote from: FL SAAC on November 22, 2021, 03:47:40 PM
Continuing with our refreshing educational program, here you have the Ford Mach 2 was design by Larry Shinoda in 1970 as a challenger to the Chevrolet Corvette. It did not however meet production. The car was based on a De Tomaso Pantera chassis and engine. The rear design was influneced by the 1962 Corvair Monza GT. The Mach II project was abandonned when Ford teamed up with De Tomaso to sell the Pantera in the USA through there Lincoln-Mercury dealer network, which was cheaper than developing this car. Larry Shinoda left Ford soon after designing this car and went on to set up his own Comapny, Shinoda Design Associates.

The RED car is interesting, now I know where Steve Saleen got his ideas from.

+ 1

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Ford 1968 Machete

Torino Machete is a racy new idea car from Ford Division. A modified version of the 1968 Fairlane Torino GT Fastback, the show car was created at the Ford Design Center in Dearborn, Mich. It has a special two-tone "pearlescent" white and silver finish. The unusual grille features twin horizontal black air scoops. Headlamps are concealed behind electrically operated doors. Roof pillars have been widened to provide additional privacy for rear seat passengers. Machete's taillights are flush with the lower portion of the deck panel, and concealed by white coated lenses. With light off, the taillamps are hidden, blending smoothly into the white rear panel.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

1969 Ford Ranchero Scrambler

Ranchero Scrambler, a show car version of Ford Division's Ranchero pickup, features a high, through-the-hood "shaker" air sсoop, extended roof panels which create a tunnel-back effect and a unique tailgate with a built in spoiler and full-width taillights. A novel extra with this Scrambler is a set of "his" and "her" mini motor bikes mounted in the pickup box.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Under the familiar Shaker hood scoop was a 428 CID Cobra Jet V8, coupled to a C6 three-speed automatic transmission with its console-mounted shifter nestled between a pair of black vinyl bucket seats. Goodyear F60 Polyglas tires rode on Kelsey Hayes Magstar 15×7 wheels borrowed from the Shelby Mustang parts bin, dressed up with custom center caps wearing the Ranchero longhorn emblem.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Ford Fairlane (Torino) Super Cobra Vignale, 1969
Super Cobra is a show car version of the 1969 Fairlane's "going thing" in performance, the Cobra. It features a unique two-part grille, a tall, wide shaker airscoop and a louvred backlite. The airscoop is a modification of the Cobra's airscoop, allowing cool, above-the-hood air to rush directly into the air cleaner, giving a power boost from the engine. The Super Cobra is powered by Ford's 335-horsepower, 428 cubic-inch-displacement Cobra Jet Ram Air engine, a popular option in the hot new car.

Public Relations, Ford Division

Starting with a 1969 Fairlane, the Super Cobra SportsRoof show car was lowered 2-inches and the front clip was stretched by 8-inches. Concealed headlights, wall-to-wall taillights, black metal louvers, and slant back windshield added to the racy exterior. The high performance 428 cubic inch V-8 engine powered the Super Cobra, and featured a tall shaker air scoop that poked through the hood. Custom interior was finished in candy-murano and hot red to compliment the red exterior.

I have all UNGOLD cars

67 GT350

I think the name "super Charger" would fit better?
RARE  Signature Delete

TOBKOB

I remember seeing the Super Cobra at a car show in Atlanta back in the day. The main thing I remember is the door handles were on the top of the door instead of the side... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

shelbymann1970

Quote from: FL SAAC on March 21, 2022, 08:21:33 PM
Ford GN34

In the era of the original Acura NSX, the Lotus Esprit, the DeLorean, and even the Pontiac Fierro, wedged, mid-engined sports cars were bursting onto the scene. Some of which (Acura, Lotus) took the fight directly to Ferrari. Others (DeLorean, Fierro), failed to really take off. As for Ford Motor Company, there was an incredible mid-engined sports car in the works that would have been a retrolicious predecessor to the mighty Ford GT supercar we see today. Internally, it was called the Ford GN34, and it almost happened.

Early Design And Engineering
It began as just an idea from some of Ford's top brass as they wanted a sports car to rival the mid-engine Ferrari 328 and Honda's developing NSX but also wanted it to be affordable enough for the average person to buy. That being the case, part of the Ford GN34 market strategy was to kill off the iconic Ford Mustang, which didn't carry the same prestige as it does today, and slot this mid-engined sports car in its place. Can you imagine?

As for its looks, Ford also thought that designing the vehicle outside of the United States would ultimately make the GN34 perceived as more exotic than just a Corvette rival, they wanted it to be more "special." So, they phoned up Italdesign (founded by the legendary Giorgetto Giugiaro)

Upon searching far and wide for an engineering partner, Roush Engineering eventually rose to the top, coming up with an actual prototype based on the DeTomaso Pantera. Under the hood, the Ford GN34 was supposed to utilize a Yamaha built SHO V6 engine, which was actually used in the 1989-1991 Ford Taurus SHO. Yup, just as the Ford GT utilizes a EcoBoost today, Ford was tinkering with boosted V6 engines over 30 years ago.

Yet Ford didn't seem too keen on the Italdesign proposal anymore, so they continued to shop around for design houses, eventually landing on equally Italian Ghia. Except Ghia was actually a Ford subsidiary, and the design mock up they presented scored just as high as Ferraris did in the customer research clinics. It's the red one below. Maybe it's just the color, but you can see the Ferrari (and second-gen Esprit if we're honest) themes applied here.

The End Of The Ford GN34 Program

The decision to approve or deny the Ford GN34 program climaxed at a meeting in California where presentations were made on the mid-engined sports car, with the legendary Bob Lutz in the room. Yes, Lutz was a Ford executive, as well.

Maximum Bob decided it would be better to develop a four-door vehicle based on the Ford Bronco II, and call it an SUV.  His thinking was it was more practical and easier to sell to existing Ford customers. With this decision, the GN34 program went stillborn, and resources were allocated to this new SUV program, while the Ford Mustang stayed alive.

This vehicle became known as the Ford Explorer.

Where is the Ford GN34 today? If you want to see it, the mid-engined sports car is at the Roush Museum in Livonia, Michigan.
I've been at many Roush open houses and don't recall that car. Maybe I was too busy looking at all the other cars he had in there(been given tours behind the scenes of cars in progress a few times like the Tijuana Taxi and the 69 CJ Vert that started it all as well as the Mustang II pro stocker that were not on public display). I remember Jack  outbid John V for the Indigo and 94 Boss 429 Mustang that were on display when Ford auctioned off some of their cars. John did get the Ford GT90 though along with spare parts. I don't think he owns it now. https://blog.dupontregistry.com/ford/whatever-happened-ford-gt90/
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)