News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles

Started by FL SAAC, February 17, 2020, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

The original MACH-1

THE FLYING CAR - HENRY FORD'S ATTEMPT TO MAKE US ALL PILOTS
READ HERE: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/28764/flying-flivver-henry-fords-attempt-make-us-all-pilots?a_aid=46813
1959 saw the completion of the FORD LEVACAR MACH 1, a concept car built to be the first full-scale wheeless vehicle, utilising air propulsion to move around.
It was a full-sized prototype being a one-man "flying car" that was "levitated" several inches off the ground by three powerful air jets located on the bottom of its chassis.
Planned to be powered by a small-scale turbojet engine, the Levacar was purportedly designed to reach a top speed of nearly 500 mph.
Ford's single-seat space coupe was tethered to an arm, enabling it to glide smoothly above a circular glass track. The tiny car was suspended just slightly above the surface by ducted air from pads on its underside. An attached arm guided it around a display in Ford's famous Rotunda.
Ford promotional materials projected that the single-seat, fiberglass-bodied Levacar might be capable of reaching speeds of five hundred miles per hour, but its utter lack of brakes might have made that a one-time experiment.
Ford gave away thousands of plastic promotional models of their exciting new air car. AMT produced a popular model kit that came complete with a rubber hose that kids could blow in to levitate their toys like the real thing. Unfortunately, those tiny plastic models are all that's left of Ford's bold air car experiment. And we're still bumping along on rubber tires, just like Ford's Model T.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Ford Ghia Coins, 1974  (definetly a 3 H winner)

The 1974 Coins was a striking curved wedge with a single rear-sited door.
Built to celebrate the first anniversary of Ford's takeover of the once-proud carrozzeria, stylist Tom Tjaarda produced this radical device in double-quick time. It's notable for its three-abreast seating, central driving position and means of access via a rear hatch, but Tjaarda positively hates the car...

I have all UNGOLD cars

67 GT350

What is sad with all these prototypes is that todays designer has no imagination. All cars with the exception of the car companies look, look the same, and drive the same.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on January 26, 2023, 08:36:06 PM
What is sad with all these prototypes is that todays designer has no imagination. All cars with the exception of the car companies look, look the same, and drive the same.

Thank .gov. They put in the rules that cars need to meet. Aerodynamics is a set of natural laws that the manufacturers need to use to get the most MPG to meet the .gov regs. Tricking engine efficiency with things like superchargers and turbos helps get more hp out of small engines bit it's a false economy because as soon as you reach for the max level you're burning more fuel.

FL SAAC

1968 Ford F3L / P68

Also known as the Ford P68, this curvaceous racecar was built as a possible replacement for the GT40. Alan Mann Racing was specifically responsible for development of the new prototype. It used an upcoming F1 car as a basis for both its engine and chassis.

Prototype racing was limited to a three liter capacity in 1968. This restriction motivated Alan Mann Racing take a very close look at the Lotus Type 49 which featured a three liter V8. Financed by Ford, the Cosworth DFV V8 was designed specifically for Type 49. After a promising 1967 season, the DFV V8 seemed fitting for the basis of a new sports prototype.

Unlike the steel GT40, an aluminum monocoque with a rear sub frame supported the F3L. Such a setup was similar to the Lotus Type 49, but the in the F3Ls case, the engine was not fully stressed. An aluminum body designed by Len Bailey covered the car which was not only strikingly beautiful, but featured a low drag of 0.27 Cd.

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on February 07, 2023, 06:37:46 PM
1968 Ford F3L / P68

It's even red like the Ferrari P330 - but 2 years late.

FL SAAC

Ford Flashback Coupe Hatchback (Ghia), 1975

With this pint-sized city car, dubbed Flashback, Ford and Ghia -- the famous design house and coachbuilder based in Turin, Italy -- explored the concept of a premium luxury subcompact that packed in as many 1930s- and '40s-era design touches as its little body could hold.

Note the formal grille, stand-up hood ornament, podded headlights, knockoff wire wheels, glass roof, side vents in the front fenders, hood louvers, and faux leather luggage straps on its bustled trunk panel.

We can't imagine that this little guy would perform too well in rear-end crash testing. It appears to be just a two-seater, with an upholstered package shelf in back. There was no talk of powertrains or performance at the time of its reveal, as the goal was luxury and classic ethos crammed into a super-subcompact package. Lincoln and Cadillac continue to wrestle with the notion of a premium ultracompact commuter machine, but neither has yet created the magic design nor committed to the idea of producing one.

Ford owned Ghia at the time, having purchased it from Alejandro deTomaso as part of the whole Ghia/DeTomaso/Vignale acquisition in the early 1970s, and it has since (unfortunately) squandered the name entirely.

I have all UNGOLD cars

98SVT - was 06GT

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 20, 2023, 04:36:34 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on February 20, 2023, 03:27:32 PM

Ford Flashback Coupe Hatchback (Ghia), 1975

Prototype for the AMC Gremlin
?

If it was it would be called an Angrylim the little angry car from AMC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

I can see the history books now: "And then, Lee Iacocca told the styling department to put a Rolls Royce grille on a go kart."
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 20, 2023, 11:01:54 PM
I can see the history books now: "And then, Lee Iacocca told the styling department to put a Rolls Royce grille on a go kart."

LMAO  !

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

She's a beauty.....

The Ghia Urban, later called the Ghia Manx, was one of the early Ghia creations using Fiesta architecture and running gear. It was a small city car, standing just 137 centimetres tall and only 259 centimetres long.

Despite its diminutive size and short, two-door profile, this concept car could seat four people. It was designed in the aftermath of the fuel crisis of 1973 as a solution to urban congestion and higher fuel prices. It even had storage for luggage in a storage area in front of the driver.

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

1976 Ford Corrida (Ghia)

The Ghia Corrida was the first Fiesta-based concept car, introduced at the Turin Motor Show in November of 1976, the year the Fiesta was introduced. Corrida means bullfight, and the Corrida Concept was Ghia's vision of a new age sports car with an array of safety features.

Corrida was not only based on a Fiesta, but was also powered by a Fiesta engine. It featured pneumatically operated gull wing doors hinged in two segments and electrically operated flaps for the headlamps to provide optimal aerodynamics performance. The rear luggage compartment was hinged at the bottom.

Corrida's driving environment was unique. The instrument cluster was an array of boxes that provided a distinctive look of compartmentalization. The concept car was bold orange with black accents.

I have all UNGOLD cars