News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 Shelby Cobra GT500KR fender emblem

Started by 68ShelbyKR, March 04, 2020, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ShelbyKR

Can someone please post a close up of the correct Cobra emblem for a 1968 Shelby Cobra GT500KR fender emblem or let me know which is the correct emblem?

I am trying to figure out if the original Cobra emblems had vertical lines on the front horizontal scales. (see pics)

I recently purchased a set from a reputable dealer and received one of each. And in doing research, I can't seem to ascertain which is correct.

Lastly, does anyone know if the 69-70 Cobras, part # C90Z-16228-A, are the same as the 68 Cobra fender emblem only with a different part number? They have texture on the front horizontal scales.
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I've always been asked, 'What is my favorite car?' and I've always said 'The next one.' - Carroll Shelby

Coralsnake

Different part numbers indicate different parts.

I would say either of the top emblems is correct. Ford made a lot of these sourced over many years.

The reproductions are made by the oem supplier; so the best advice I can give you is dont pay a lot for them.

Maybe someone with a known original can help?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

68ShelbyKR

Once again, thank you Coralsnake!

I'm not trying to be anal, I just want to get it as exact as I can!

And the only difference, I could find between the 68 and 69 version was the "texture."

Off hand, do you know what the correct part number would be for the 68?
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I've always been asked, 'What is my favorite car?' and I've always said 'The next one.' - Carroll Shelby

Coralsnake

I will look ot up, but from memory its an S8MS number

Coralsnake

68ShelbyKR

Those were the ones I bought, however they were two different ones

Coralsnake

Because of the midyear introduction of this part I see some confusing information, but it appears to be

S8MS-16098-G

But I will do some more digging

68ShelbyKR

That's the problem I have run into as well.

I also read that the 1968 KR's used the same Cobra that was later used on the 69 & 70 Shelbys.

I may have to jump in my Tardis and go back and take a look for myself!  :D

Coralsnake

There are at least two versions of the 1969 snake

Bob Gaines

I have only seen the 68 emblem on the many 68 KR survivor cars I have observed. They are heavier too when compared to the 69 emblems and appear to be made out of a different material like pewter? It dulls down compared to the later emblems.They can be hard to distinguish the nuance details compared to the 69 version but as the comparison shows pretty much every aspect is different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JDAVOLI

this has been on 3876 since 1991 hopefully since 1968 -has texture

68ShelbyKR

JDAVOLI, Thank you very much!

That does help.  I can clearly see the texture.

And I can understand that some of these emblems over time have worn down a bit and / or the dies used to make these become worn and the finer details have are worn out or lost.  I just want to put my car back to original as much as possible.

Thanks again!

68ShelbyKR

Bob Gaines, thanks for the pic!

I clearly see the difference.  Now I have to find a set.   

Any suggestions?