News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Convertible top install during assembly ?

Started by Rukiddin, March 06, 2020, 09:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukiddin

I am beginning to restore the convertible top for my car and am interested to find info about how the tops were installed at assembly plant. Way too many pieces to be assembled on the car. Were they shipped as complete assembly and final adjustments made on the line? Were they ever available as complete unit from Ford? I would think that the top was built on a jig at some other location and shipped to assembly plant. Any insight welcome!

Coralsnake

A seperate trim line did vinyl and convertible tops and then cars were reinserted into the main production line
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

68blk500c

My experience with original unrestored top frames is that each complete "side" was painted assembled, then the separately painted bows were attached.  Bushings received some partial paint due to spray pattern and some portions of frame areas did not get paint due to position and spray pattern.  Therefore, some fasteners got paint and some didn't.  Some folks probably don't go to this extent.