News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Is anyone at Mecum in Phoenix this weekend?

Started by JWH, March 13, 2020, 07:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWH

I am just curious how the turn out is? Are people staying away because of the virus? I doubt Mecum is letting sellers pull their cars out of the auction. I would think there could be some good buys on cars with no reserve if buyers stay away? Just wondering what the overall mood is there?

Shelby_r_b

Good question.  I have two friends at the auction - one of them is selling two cars.  His first car crossed yesterday, and the situation didn't seem to affect the selling price, as it sold for what was expected.

I haven't talked to them, yet, about overall attendance.  This will be interesting.
Nothing beats a classic!

ChicagoChris

According to the TV you are risking life and limb if you even think about going outside. Sooo stupid.
I was at Amelia last weekend (14th yr in a row) and crowds were bigger than ever on Sat and Sun.
Auction prices were fairly strong on the high end cars. 
Possibly fewer cars sold but haven't studied the results yet.

Don Johnston

Are more registered bidders on the phone than in person?

The Going Thing

What's stupid? The media scare tactics, or actually going?

The Going Thing

I agree. Anything to make a headline and destroy the economy.

chris NOS

The blue  1968 KR 03563  just sold for 85K  that's a steal !!  a 70 hemicuda bid only to 76K  no sale , im  not sure there's a lot of money in the room now ..

Don Johnston

Bidders may have rechecked their current investment balance sheets compared to when they registered weeks ago.   8)

The Going Thing

Yes, probably so. China screws the world again.   

68ShelbyKR

It looks like they are giving Shelby's away! 

Out of 11 Shelbys to cross the block today, only 3 sold.  A 1968 KR fastback went for $93,500 and a GT 350 fastback only got up to $55,000.  Remember those prices also include 10% buyer fees, which means the sellers actually sold them for $85,000 and the other stopped at $50,000.

Hopefully Saturday will be better.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0320-404925/1968-shelby-gt500kr-fastback/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0320-404947/1968-shelby-gt350-fastback/
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I've always been asked, 'What is my favorite car?' and I've always said 'The next one.' - Carroll Shelby

Hockeylife

You could actually say the seller sold/money received was 10% less than the $85k hammer, resulting in $76.5k to the seller. Great deal for auction house though.
There was no money, not even the house bid at $55k for the 68GT350.

427heaven

The fun and excitement from the auctions in January in the Scottsdale have waned, plus SH.. weather been raining for days, the virus, the stock market crash was a recipe for disaster. We can only hope things can turn around in a timely manor.

Shelby_r_b

My friends at the auction mentioned that yesterday (Friday) the was the smallest crowd that they've ever seen at a Mecum Auction.  Also, they mentioned that there was more money in the room Wednesday versus Thursday; which is completely contrary to normal circumstances.
Nothing beats a classic!

68ShelbyKR

Hockeylife, you are absolutely right!  76k for a 68 KR! WOW!
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

I've always been asked, 'What is my favorite car?' and I've always said 'The next one.' - Carroll Shelby