News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 GT350 Throwout bearing replacement

Started by Corey Bowcutt, March 06, 2018, 12:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

This is all great information.  I really appreciate the help.

Cobrask8

Also a big issue is if the throw out slides smoothly ion the trans snout. Any bumps, ridges, etc will make the clutch work horribly no matter what else you change. This is a very typical problem for late-model Mustang guys with the T-5 aluminum snout. We all change to a steel one.

Use a quality clutch with above average material, and normal pressure plate specs.

Also - all our classic mustang/Shelbys are prone to pedal, linkage, and bushing wear. Check it all out carefully!!!! That alsdo makes clutch operation poor.

KR Convertible

Corey,

Whichever way you decide to go, just make sure you use quality parts.  For the throw out bearing I would go to Napa if sourcing locally.  Look for a name brand bearing such as National or Timken if you decide to order online.

The pilot bushing can be a problem to remove.  I have never had too much trouble, but have heard some horror stories.  I have a slide-hammer with a bearing hook that I use.

If you want to make the trip, I would be happy to help you do the job.  I have a lift, trans jack and brake lathe if the flywheel needs surfacing.  I am an hour north of Philly.

Corey Bowcutt

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Corey if you need a pilot bearing puller I got one you can use. Or your can do it the old fashioned way and pack the pilot bearing hole with grease and use the wooden dowl that fits snuggly in the hold and hit it with a hammer.
I think I have an old Ford self training book that shows how to "index" the bell housing to the block
Let me know and I'll dig them out
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Corey Bowcutt