News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965 Shelby steering wheels

Started by Shelby73, March 22, 2020, 12:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

In terms of function, the longer hub gets you more leg room to the steering wheel.  If you are tall, this can make a difference, regardless which is period correct or not.  (Yes, I know sacrilege.)

Cory

mygt350

gbart14
If I can't locate a genuine S1MS cast/chrome hub for 5S228, I would be interested in what your guy might produce.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

gbart14

Yes, I am hoping they can as well. Springall is who I am working with on the 3 hole wheel. They have the original drawings of the Shelby 15" 3 hole wheel. Springall also made die cast hubs with raised letters as is shown in the photos of the original Shelby hub.

They say they can do it but I need get them more details or send them a real original hub to review. I do not have one so next best its to get them dimensions. If anyone has the original die cast chrome plated hub off the car and can assist with dimensions, I would appreciate it. This photo is of an original Lotus Europa hub made by Springall. So, I know they did it back in the day. Just do not know if they supplied any to Shelby.
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

mygt350

which specific dimensions do you need?
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Bob Gaines

I have one that some one cut the outside chrome edge but didn't get around to cutting the center spline section. I will list it in the for sale section with pictures later. I think people did this kind of thing to orient the wheel for different driving position. I can't think of another reason.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gbart14

Top to bottom "height", outside diameter at the attachment upper point, outside diameter at the bottom of the skirt to confirm the taper or no taper, attachment bolt hole thread diameter and thread pitch, depth from the wheel attachment face to the nut interface. On the underside, depth from the bottom of the skirt to the top of the bolt holes, depth from the bottom of the skirt to the top of the spline retaining face. That should get a starting point. I believe, if they really can do it, they will eventually need an original part. We shall see. I will post up their response. Thanks for your help.
SAAC Northwest President, current - 5S243 plus 65 Mustang coupe track car plus 2016 GT350, past 6S286

gbart14

Bob, I would be interested in it for the purposes of sending it to Springall. Please pm me with a price. Thanks