News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Streets are quiet.. I notice many people were taking their vintage vehicles out.

Started by The Going Thing, March 26, 2020, 01:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Going Thing

The weather has been nice. It was 90 in the DFW yesterday.  In shorts and a T-shirt and 2/55 air conditioning, I followed suit.  It doesn't completely alleviate the worries and concerns but is none the less a distraction from the  Chinese plague.

It's strange to go over to headquarters and see the parking lots and structures all but empty.
To add insult to injury someone in the Bahamas wound up obtaining my Platinum card and Visa Debit card information and in four days went through 16,000.00.  How kind of them.
All starting the day after my departure from KMCO. I always hold my rental cars with my credit card and pay for them with my debit.
No shortage of low life individuals anymore.   

67 GT350

If good old Broome County of NYS did not salt the roads the other day, I would be out driving a few cars! With all the worries and people told to stay home, why on Earth salt wet roads and waste money!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

The issue here is that the traffic is so light, there are cops all over the place. They have nothing to do and when their job is to enforce the law, they will find someone to enforce it on.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

Doug: The State Troopers barracks everywhere are unnerving.  Too many Deer and "Old people" with nowhere to go around the Glen to hammer it until you get out on the other side of 14/14A

shelbydoug

Quote from: The Going Thing on March 27, 2020, 11:45:53 AM
Doug: The State Troopers barracks everywhere are unnerving.  Too many Deer and "Old people" with nowhere to go around the Glen to hammer it until you get out on the other side of 14/14A

That's not my stomping ground. The Sprain and  Taconic Parkways are.

In October I hit a deer with my Audi to the tune of $8,500 damage. It was only a very glancing blow. That was on a road I don't normally frequent so I try to stay to familiar roads at specific times.

Even that can be risky. Some of the more affluent communities use their Police as virtual Gestopo.

The NYS troopers here are not friendly. They only patrol here and don't need to worry about seeing people they know in the grocery store so they treat us like escaped prisoners from concentration camps.

The troopers around the Glenn, were actually very friendly and personable. They actually enjoy "visiting" with vintage owners, mostly just to look at the car and hear it idle?

Make sure that you leave enough fudge time to get to your appointment. You likely will be late as a result?

It got so bad here that a NYS trooper in pursuit of a suspect who exited Rt 87 onto local roads asked for assistance and was denied it. The local PD doesn't like them either.

Kind of like the NYPD calling the local PD, "yokels". Sometimes even "innocent bystanders" like me get caught up in their BS.

Today? Look out. Nothings going down so someones gonna' get it.

God forbid you look like a lost hillbilly. They may not find your body for weeks?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

There is some truth to that. A good friend of mine retired from recently from the NYST is now the mayor of Watkins Glen. His name is Luke Leszyk.
You're right. Most of them are relatively friendly in the area and are from the area. The assclownery I see from the Chemung County Sheriff's office is another entity altogether. There is definitely a disconnect between the two.  The cover they wear reminds me more of Rosco Pico Colerain.  I am actually friends with Bill Yesman as well.  He is a good man. The spousal unit went to school with the Sheriff and babysat Luke. I still hear stories about him getting in the dryer and her ex turning it on.  I always ask him if that's where his hair went.

Elmira is another story altogether. I got roughed up there because someone saw my firearm when I put my suit jacket on when I got out of my vehicle meeting my daughter for lunch and called the police. NYS doesn't like HR218 and they tried to convince me I was violating NYS law and actually took the ammunition out of my weapon. I decided to go down to the station after I ate and had a come to Jesus meeting with the police chief.
my ammunition. It was returned and it prompted clear policy and guidelines for the department.
It is the department's responsibility to educate its officers who aren't versed in the law.
Anyway, I agree with you. The "city" area is a completely different animal and it's hard to find "humans" on the job and that comes from being jaded dealing with animals constantly.

shelbydoug

I try not to be judgemental. I don't like being profiled. No one does. Here that just means I'm from a certain zip code.

I actually have trimmed hair, have teeth when I smile and treat everyone respectfully.
Sometimes they don't care for that. They see that as confrontational?

My son got arrested as a drug dealer because he had caffeine tablets in plain view in the car.

He's a power lifter and they use the stuff in the process of getting psyched up to lift. He's at the NYS record of 468.

He had a flat tire on 87. A NYS trooper pulled up, went through the entire car, impounded it and arrested him and held him over night.

He also had a freedo bandido mustache at the time and the "cops" (he called for backup) wanted to know where he got the money to buy the car from? Nice huh?

Here, that isn't considered false arrest and there is no remedy required by the arresting officer, the department or the jailer. They just give you back your stuff and turn you free.

Once you get on the job here, you are not required to take an annual physical or mental evaluation.  If you hate everyone, maybe "you" should take another job or seek treatment? At least when everyone carried revolvers, "they" could go off and play Russian Roulette?

Those were NYS. Locals actually call me by my first name and stop and see the cars occasionally. I'm ok with that.

It's a tough job, but they picked it. It's not like they were drafted?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

The Going Thing

We were required to have a psychological evaluation once a year. Once you're through the academy the physicals aren't required. When I went through the academy It was six months long. You stayed there. We ran four miles a day. I had only been out of the Army for seven months. It was easy for me. Not so much for others, even the 20 1/2 year olds. ( The youngest allowed) 
Most of us were pretty decent people. The ones who had never had any authority could be problematic.
In my opinion most who are in LE are good men and women. What I find lacking is training. These flighty academies can be an issue. The state/country ran academies are much more regimented and they do weed out the slackers and non-hackers.

Side-Oilers

Took the Kirkham out today for a serene cruise along the San Diego coastline.

Saw a black 427 Cobra from a distance (no idea if it was a CSX or other type) two black '66 Mustangs...one with some Shelby parts, and a few Brand X classic cars. 

Beautiful day here. There's not a germ or virus on the planet that can catch a 427 Cobra (or even a replica, like mine) at 100+ mph. 

Just having some fun. No disrespect to anyone who feels it's better to not venture outside.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

The Going Thing

How many CHPs did you pass on your "Escape from Los Angeles" run today? lol

Side-Oilers

Actually, I did not see a lot of law enforcement anywhere but trying to keep the beaches closed.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

The Going Thing

I worked Big Bear and San Bernardino. I would imagine many who had cabins are up there.

Side-Oilers

A buddy of mine retired from CHP a few years ago. He had 26 years in, and worked mostly the San Gorgonio Pass area, near Palm Springs. Always a patrolman. Never wanted a desk job.

He loves cars and driving fast. I had several great high speed ride-alongs with him over the years.  A top speed chase in the CHP Mustang 5.0 was among the memorable rides.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

The Going Thing

I worked for 10 years. I was hit by a drunk illegal with two prior convictions. It ended my career. I have been fighting the state every since. I lost my home because of their actions and relocated to the DFW area. I enjoyed being on the job, but we're disposable to the state.

Side-Oilers

I'm sorry to hear all that.  Life deals good people a dirty hand sometimes.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model