News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 Shelby GT350 Plug Wire Routing

Started by Shelby_r_b, March 06, 2018, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

Quick question, as I don't have the assembly manuals for 68s - do the spark plug wires route the same way on a 68 GT350 as they do on a 67 GT350 (e.g., the #5 plug wire on a 67 GT350 routes under the #8 & #6 wires on the driver's side)?  A picture would be fantastic, if possible.

Many thanks in advance!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on March 06, 2018, 02:42:28 PM
Quick question, as I don't have the assembly manuals for 68s - do the spark plug wires route the same way on a 68 GT350 as they do on a 67 GT350 (e.g., the #5 plug wire on a 67 GT350 routes under the #8 & #6 wires on the driver's side)?  A picture would be fantastic, if possible.

Many thanks in advance!  :D
Yes. That is the factory configuration . FYI the reality is that the possibility of spark induction misfire (reason for routing) if the wires are routed parallel to each other (5,6,7,8) is extremely remote
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Outstanding - thanks, Bob!

*Beer Emoji*...if we had one
Nothing beats a classic!

CharlesTurner

Another more obscure detail is how do the plug wires route around the thermactor tubes on a '68 GT350 with T/E?  I haven't been able to find any good references for this.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on March 06, 2018, 04:06:01 PM
Outstanding - thanks, Bob!

*Beer Emoji*...if we had one
I miss that one too. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Maybe that's why Kopec asked me if I was drunk after reading my posts?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gtamustang

Quote from: caspian65 on March 06, 2018, 04:11:41 PM
Another more obscure detail is how do the plug wires route around the thermactor tubes on a '68 GT350 with T/E?  I haven't been able to find any good references for this.

Look in Bob Mannel's Ford small block engine book. There is at least one excellent picture of the wire routing on a 68 302 with thermactor. The only difference between the picture and your configuration is the valve covers. Wires should still be routed the same was as production 302s with thermactor.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: gtamustang on March 07, 2018, 03:08:38 PM
Quote from: caspian65 on March 06, 2018, 04:11:41 PM

Look in Bob Mannel's Ford small block engine book. There is at least one excellent picture of the wire routing on a 68 302 with thermactor. The only difference between the picture and your configuration is the valve covers. Wires should still be routed the same was as production 302s with thermactor.

Outstanding point!  I have that book and didn't even see the picture you mentioned until now. I think you're referencing the one on page 8-22.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

CharlesTurner

Page 8-40 and 8-48 show details.  The LH side wasn't really the question, although following the pics, the #8 wire is laying against the smog valve.  The RH side wires mounted through a clip in the middle of the Cobra valve cover, not like the ordinary 302 with the stand-off bracket.  I'll have to see if the plug wires fit with all routing behind the emission valve.  Right now, I believe I have them split, 2 in front and 2 in back.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: caspian65 on March 07, 2018, 10:36:48 PM
Page 8-40 and 8-48 show details.  The LH side wasn't really the question, although following the pics, the #8 wire is laying against the smog valve.  The RH side wires mounted through a clip in the middle of the Cobra valve cover, not like the ordinary 302 with the stand-off bracket.  I'll have to see if the plug wires fit with all routing behind the emission valve.  Right now, I believe I have them split, 2 in front and 2 in back.

Did you find you one of those white wire separators/holders?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

CharlesTurner

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 07, 2018, 11:03:12 PM
Did you find you one of those white wire separators/holders?

There is an off-white wire separator on one side  :)
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

It would be helpful to those that do not have that book to post some scans or pictures?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 08, 2018, 06:34:55 AM
It would be helpful to those that do not have that book to post some scans or pictures?

Any early Mustang/Shelby enthusiast ought to have a copy in their reference library:  www.fordsmallblock.com
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 08, 2018, 06:34:55 AM

At the same time IMHO we need to respect peoples work, time, effort and copywrite

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge