News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

vintage shelby or modern shelby long term?

Started by gt350shelb, December 19, 2023, 09:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

Both cars are very popular  but who has the staying power ?

I claim vintage  for  one main reason / parts are available to keep them going .

The electronics will be the thorn in the side of these new cars  .   

If you don't know Ford stops maintaining inventory on cars over 10 years old .

what these means is if you need a body control module / alarm  for a car from 2009  there may not be any to be had . without  this module the car will not run.  same goes for power train control modules /  instrument clusters / smart fuse boxes/ and on and on .
any one  of these will keep car from functioning.

electronic will and can fail  even if new  in the box on the shelf
they still get old even if they are nos in the box!
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

98SVT - was 06GT

The feds require that a manufacturer keep repair parts on the shelf for only 7 years. A friend went to a GM round table in the 90s where they stated they wanted cars to be junked after 7 years. They said there were 2 types of buyers - New who would keep a car 3-4 years and used who also keep cars 3-4 years. They said the way it would be done is with a kill date in the electronics and the price of replacement that exceeded car value.

One thing the consumer always forgets - Manufacturers are in the business of selling new products - NOT maintaining their old ones. I remember when "Planned Obsolescence" was the newest engineering buzzword.

Hobbyists will go to great expense to keep things on the road. As far as parts availability take a look at the Model A - 90+ years old and many parts suppliers still in business. About the only part that isn't available new is the gas tank. One guy introduced a modern engine a couple years ago. It can pass for stock on the outside but all new inside. 5 main bearings, pressure oil system, etc. https://burtzblock.com/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350shelb

Yes agree there is a fan base but repairing eletronics/ and having the access to program some of them  will be limiting . currently to program a new key for your new ford  i must log in to ford motor company  to get access. not going to be available forever thru ford. Some  20 year old cars are all ready just a paper weight / had 2 f150 s and a thunder bird that need ed instrument clusters for the keys to work in the veh. all 3 were towed away.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .