News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

shelby # 1444 ?, one in chicago, race car

Started by Harris Speedster, January 07, 2022, 02:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

So after viewing the video production and reading all the comments, the only vin number is on a transmission?

If that is so, we can summarize this find in one sentence :

There is truly no way to authenticate this car.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Once it was clipped any chance of it being DEFINITIVELY authenticated as a specific car went out the window.You could "narrow it down",but.....

427hunter

Quote from: FL SAAC on January 09, 2022, 09:53:08 AM
So after viewing the video production and reading all the comments, the only vin number is on a transmission?

If that is so, we can summarize this find in one sentence :

There is truly no way to authenticate this car.

+1
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbydoug

Not only that but presuming someone wanted to "restore it", the way that the laws are currently written, even if you knew the complete serial number, unless you are a car manufacturer, you are prohibited from applying the number.

I would think that this car was "clipped" in the front and that no one would do this to a good solid car to begin with?

Who said that the transmission goes with this car originally?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Horsepower+biasply tires=many "clipped"cars back in the day ;)

silverton_ford

98SVT - was 06GT

Looking at the old post I was struck by the amount rust and heavily pitted parts. It's a 67 and converted only 1-2 years later that is too much rust. A parts receipt from 1969 and the car goes into storage in 70 - time line isn't adding up.

Quote from: silverton_ford on January 10, 2022, 11:19:29 AM
Back in 2019 when we first talked about the car - http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6303.0

Wasn't this the first line of the spiel to sell Air Cobras too? "Unfortunately the previous owner was a hoarder of sorts and had passed away by the time I found the car so the history is non-existent at this point."

In post 88 of the old thread the OP admits it's not the right VIN.
Update:
I WAS able to locate a VIN on the transmission. While it was in fact a 1967 Shelby GT350 transmission, unfortunately it wasn't from this car....Bummer. This particular car is an early build from all indicators, but the transmission is from a much later build date and from a different color car....

Read OP's own words in message 88 - http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6303.75
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

68krrrr

Cool car & video no matter the outcome thanks for posting
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

427hunter

What I find shocking is how they transformed it with bogus aging of added parts and spotting in paint. Good job but kind of crooked the way they presented it in the video, if the 2019 thread did not exist you would think barn find rather then what it really is.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

427heaven

Can ANYONE tell me what a FF?X class is in NHRA/IHRA. Small block, tube chassis, extreme engine set back Small block only? All I can find is video game crap. Interested if that was/is a real class in which this car ran?

J_Speegle

Quote from: 427heaven on January 11, 2022, 08:42:26 PM
Can ANYONE tell me what a FF?X class is in NHRA/IHRA. Small block, tube chassis, extreme engine set back Small block only? All I can find is video game crap. Interested if that was/is a real class in which this car ran?

Don't have a rule book from the period any but don't believe there was a national class with that identification. Think Randy made reference to that also in a post on another site on the subject
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427heaven

Thanks Jeff- Never heard of that designation before, but there are things I have not heard of. A class racer would not have electrical tape number designation on the windshield usually, but they were focused on that class designation. Just want to know why the focus on FF/X. Guessing each one of the 7-8 friends sitting around bought parts and pieces off ebay to add to the cars history, like the date coded radiator. I didnt just fall off the turnip truck yesterday, but maybe like 45 years ago when my racing began. Real race cars didnt need radiators to run a few seconds on the strip. Engine blocks are filled with rock block or similar for these race applications. If someone typically was going to build a tube chassis car with a flip nose the small block engine was typically left at home under the work bench. Someone will know more of its history.

gt350hr

427Heaven,
       You are correct , the class NEVER existed in NHRA . The F/X class stopped at C F/X where the smaller engine , heavier cars were. SEVERAL problems with the way the car is presented and they are all associated by "someone" guessing . As I mentioned on the first go around , these are the issues that keep this from being a "period" F/X car. Fuel injection, straight axles , fiberglass "tilt" front ends and no front brakes were ONLY allowed in "A" F/X , NOT the lower classes. This car would have HAD to be in a GAS class as it was modified too much even for ''modified production" . Likely D/Gas because of the cubic inches.
     One benefit of being old is that you were "there" to experience this stuff instead of "read about it"
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427heaven

Thanks Randy- Didnt think so... Was waiting for you to chime in!

Side-Oilers

Quote from: gt350hr on January 12, 2022, 10:35:07 AM
   427Heaven,
       You are correct , the class NEVER existed in NHRA . The F/X class stopped at C F/X where the smaller engine , heavier cars were. SEVERAL problems with the way the car is presented and they are all associated by "someone" guessing . As I mentioned on the first go around , these are the issues that keep this from being a "period" F/X car. Fuel injection, straight axles , fiberglass "tilt" front ends and no front brakes were ONLY allowed in "A" F/X , NOT the lower classes. This car would have HAD to be in a GAS class as it was modified too much even for ''modified production" . Likely D/Gas because of the cubic inches.
     One benefit of being old is that you were "there" to experience this stuff instead of "read about it"
      Randy

Randy, once again you are an awesome source of drag racing knowledge!  Age & experience has its benefits.

My old car pal, actor Robert Stack, once told me:  "There's no advantage to being old, except you know a lot of stuff."   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model