News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Red oxide primer

Started by DC-DD, November 03, 2023, 04:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC-DD

My body guy saying his suppliers do not have red oxide primer anymore . Not a big call for it anymore. They make /mix there own for customers that want it.
Is that  what everyone is doing now? 
I plan on giving him an NOS part or a used part with original primer so they can get close .

Thanks
Dominic

daltondavid

Times they are a changing!!
Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM

davez

What brand are you referring to

J_Speegle

Is this for 67 San Jose?   Can likely provide a starting point that you can tint to match the production period your car was built during or at least close. PM or email me and I'll try and help if your starting from ground zero and thinking of doing this as a paint rather than an epoxy primer sealer.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Royce Peterson

Quote from: DC-DD on November 03, 2023, 04:56:38 PM

My body guy saying his suppliers do not have red oxide primer anymore . Not a big call for it anymore. They make /mix there own for customers that want it.
I plan on giving him an NOS part or a used part with original primer so they can get close .

Thanks
Dominic

Looks like it is still available no issues.

https://ceb.ppgrefinish.com/en/products/collision/undercoat/dp40-chromate-free-2k-epoxy-surfacer-d834/#
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Royce Peterson on November 03, 2023, 07:59:29 PM

Thanks
Dominic

https://ceb.ppgrefinish.com/en/products/collision/undercoat/dp40-chromate-free-2k-epoxy-surfacer-d834/#

DP40 is a versatile 2K Epoxy Surfacer. It is light grey in colour,
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Royce Peterson

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 03, 2023, 09:05:24 PM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on November 03, 2023, 07:59:29 PM

Thanks
Dominic

DP40 is a versatile 2K Epoxy Surfacer. It is light grey in colour,

Sorry I meant DP74LF - and it looks like it is no longer available. Fortunately lots of other brands are still available. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276058850693?epid=1734522251&hash=item404663c585:g:Z2kAAOSwdQ9k7fy6&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0BZTg4Gk9TdnHnGnS5rEMT4De6bWMBvyFF2lv83pL004Dlf2lhxKxrW1NmkW1s%2BGJAVWMFCd09o1GDnvmcuVsHhzeZyf6SMPD6Vx736m8SuPq8IAq35sq%2FzIR52qr6x6p4XavippV5dcIF2kcxazTbXFfQ2%2By3PAwvETJdckOhEUUgyqcd1hqW6DENaL%2BpxKjfs%2BPfkkQGpdiUfiQJ6%2Bxa3zxCR5qaRnFktqSwn3RjTpxjxRI7umaTSuxrRE7ADiZDzZx94QHg2SR%2BJmFjFb2%2BA%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4ilmf_yYg
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

J_Speegle

Quote from: Royce Peterson on November 03, 2023, 09:29:00 PM
Sorry I meant DP74LF - and it looks like it is no longer available. Fortunately lots of other brands are still available. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276058850693?epid=1734522251&hash=item404663c585:g:Z2kAAOSwdQ9k7fy6&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0BZTg4Gk9TdnHnGnS5rEMT4De6bWMBvyFF2lv83pL004Dlf2lhxKxrW1NmkW1s%2BGJAVWMFCd09o1GDnvmcuVsHhzeZyf6SMPD6Vx736m8SuPq8IAq35sq%2FzIR52qr6x6p4XavippV5dcIF2kcxazTbXFfQ2%2By3PAwvETJdckOhEUUgyqcd1hqW6DENaL%2BpxKjfs%2BPfkkQGpdiUfiQJ6%2Bxa3zxCR5qaRnFktqSwn3RjTpxjxRI7umaTSuxrRE7ADiZDzZx94QHg2SR%2BJmFjFb2%2BA%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4ilmf_yYg

Would suggest staying far away from high build up primers and over all in products labeled as simply primers since they will not generally protect and seal the undercarriage surface like the epoxy based productions. Thick high build up primers will diminish the details of the panels, fill and cover date stamps and factory spotwelds, fill seam in some areas and round edges on panel lips.

Wonder how long ago DP74LF became unavailable and how many paint shops around the country have a few gallons on the shelf?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

silverton_ford

Some prior discussion about this here, I hope this helps. -  https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20489.0

Some good information in the latest Jerry Heasley video.  Jason White talks about using a R-M EP869 product at the 10:24 mark - https://youtu.be/srNctHd1HXw?si=ly1J5QxtUDfjaOco

DC-DD

Quote from: J_Speegle on November 03, 2023, 05:51:39 PM
Is this for 67 San Jose?   Can likely provide a starting point that you can tint to match the production period your car was built during or at least close. PM or email me and I'll try and help if your starting from ground zero and thinking of doing this as a paint rather than an epoxy primer sealer.

This is for 65 Shelby but should be the same.

shelbydoug

Well this raises a question to me. Does the color vary according to the time of the year? Is this a "batch color"?

I probably haven't seen enough of these applications but it seems to me that the colors vary and are never just pure "red"? They seem to have other colors occasionally mixed in and definitely varying amounts of a metallic in them?

IF that is so, how can the color be standardized?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TLea

Hey Dominic, we've been using a brand for a couple years by a company called SPI out of Georgia. Their paints are super to use and a lot nicer than the old PPG. They have a red oxide but out of the can it's too red in my opinion but they also have white gray and black so it's easy to tint what you're looking for. It's available in quarts and gallons so you don't have to buy a ton and it's about half the cost of what PPG used to be. Gloss level is also perfect.

shelbydoug

Quote from: TLea on November 04, 2023, 09:23:49 AM
Hey Dominic, we've been using a brand for a couple years by a company called SPI out of Georgia. Their paints are super to use and a lot nicer than the old PPG. They have a red oxide but out of the can it's too red in my opinion but they also have white gray and black so it's easy to tint what you're looking for. It's available in quarts and gallons so you don't have to buy a ton and it's about half the cost of what PPG used to be. Gloss level is also perfect.

What do you try to match color wise?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: DC-DD on November 04, 2023, 08:03:14 AM
This is for 65 Shelby but should be the same.

Variations, color wise are less and in 65 you have the very dark gray (some refer to it as black) period so it will depend on when the car was likely built. All explained in that article I shared on this site and CMF.  For firewall forward you would have a version of red oxide with either floor color since it was applied by hand in a separate station after the floor was done by the jets  If you want to email or PM we can compare the cars VIN or time period to other documented cars and determine what the original color is unless you have done that already.

Earlier thread on the related subject

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2207.msg18911#msg18911

And to the article mentioned in that thread

https://www.docdroid.net/ZJzg67n/65-san-jose-underopen-2019v8-pdf

And an example of the intersection/overlap of the front frame application over the floor color in the late 65 San Jose example

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 04, 2023, 08:41:08 AM
Well this raises a question to me. Does the color vary according to the time of the year? Is this a "batch color"?

Color on 65 red oxide colored cars does not vary IMHO as much as lets say 67 San Jose cars but there are a couple periods where the floor section was lighter and "pinker" like in 66. There are variations in batches of paint supplied to San Jose but its not like they worried about matching prior batches as they would for exterior colors. But they did vary and this is documented on cars when you compare often the front and rear application of the epoxy primer sealer from firewall rearward and firewall forward.

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 04, 2023, 08:41:08 AMI probably haven't seen enough of these applications but it seems to me that the colors vary and are never just pure "red"? They seem to have other colors occasionally mixed in and definitely varying amounts of a metallic in them?

Believe your thinking about 65-up Dearborn and San Jose car built after 68 production (69 and up)  Those were batch colors. A base with waste exterior paint added to them. In those you can get a good guess as to what was possibly used based on samples from around or same day or week you car was built.  If you don't have any remaining original colors to try and match for this purpose.

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 04, 2023, 09:53:49 AM
What do you try to match color wise?

I have plenty of pictures but could always use more. Not the best for matching since you have all of the setting issues that can affect what you see on a screen so trying to get multiple pictures of the same cleaned floor in different lighting and angles. Or use a sample taken from an original section of flooring. I've collected some sections of floors from yards or when a car was having the floor replaced at during restorations that I've labeled with the cars VIN

Some of the samples I've saved for my purposes